Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Harrys 2004 VY SII sedan

HarryVY

2004 Series II VY Equipe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Series II VY sedan
So I ordered my 2.5" catback exhaust system last night, should be here end of next week :D

HarryVY

2004 Series II VY Equipe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Series II VY sedan
Been a while since I posted, so here is an update.

New exhaust turned up at my work a few weeks back:

Old exhaust system alongside the new:

Up on the hoist at work:

The exhaust is the 2.5" mandrel bent cat-back Manta system from Southwest Performance Exhausts in WA. Fitting was relatively straightforward, although a section of exhaust had to be trimmed off depending on whether the vehicle has single or dual catalytic converters (mine is a SII and has twin cats).
After fitting, I was surprised at how quite it was for a single muffler system. However after driving around over the last few weeks, the glass packs in the muffler have slowly loosened up, and it has a nice note, not to loud, and no drone whatsoever.

Shortly after I bought the car, I experienced a spate of overheating issues.
A new thermostat, lower radiator hose and a thorough flush and bleed of the cooling system solved the problems.
Whilst the engine cover was off, I thoroughly de-greased and steam cleaned the engine bay:

My six stacker BlauPunkt CD player didn't want to load any CDs so I got a single stacker (I don't have the need to load more than one CD at a time) off Gumtree for $50.
Whilst I could have gone for an aftermarket head unit, I had a long road trip coming up at the time and didn't have the time to sort out an aftermarket system, and muck around with facia panels, steering wheel controls etc:

The weather was absolutely freezing as usual on the weekend, so went for a drive up into the hills surrounding Melbourne's north-west:

Few more random pics:

Last edited:

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Good update! Glad the exhaust worked out for you, yea I've heard they sometimes take a bit to wear in.

You and your bloody hoist access. Just had to rub it in

R

Risky

Looking good there. Good to see you haven't gone OTT. I would have kept the exhaust tip & chucked it on the new one.

Liking your new gif there Gaiter :)

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Good job mate, you have a nice clean car with some tasteful mods, perfect for a young bloke.

HarryVY

2004 Series II VY Equipe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Series II VY sedan
Thanks guys :)

Yes it certainly helps having access to a hoist 'Gaiter' haha

And yes, I've kept the original exhaust tip 'Risky', just waiting for a sunny day to polish it up and fit it to the new system.

Next on the to-do list is to give the paint a good wax and buff, paint the calipers & engine cover, and either repaint the existing sills/aprons or paint them Quicksilver to match the body.

Last edited:
R

Risky

In regards to the side skirts & bumpers, you might be better off getting a new set as I just read your question in the forum.

Quicksilver was a popular colour in the range so getting these parts in your colour from the wreckers should be easy. Plenty of quicksilver parts on eBay if you look. It'll save you prep & painting. The VY Series II S model got the SS bumpers & side skirts & yes they are a little bigger & slightly different. They will fit. The rear bumper might be an issue as the rear light sizes were different.

Holden VY SS Sedan
2002_Holden_Commodore_(VY)_SS_sedan_(2015-05-29)_01.jpg

Holden VY SS Sedan rear
2002_Holden_Commodore_Ss_Vy_18466644.jpg

Front bumper for sale in Quicksilver. It will need a grill & foglights. NEW Holden VY SS Commodore Front Bumper BAR Painted Quicksilver 470G | eBay

Rear SS bumper for sale in Quicksilver Genuine Holden VY Calais Rear Bumper BAR Reverse Sensors Quicksilver 470G KLR | eBay