Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has any VFs have electric folding side mirrors

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Folding mirror feature would have alot to do with the drivers master window regulator as it was assigned alot of things to "sniff out" before things got actuated in the VF. It's quite possible in the ZB it was assigned a few more tasks I think.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The ZB has a folding mirror control module in the door that sniffs the CAN bus and controls the fold/unfold motor. I can’t remember if there is also a fold button in the ZB drivers door and whether its wired directly to the fold mirror module.

But I really haven’t looked into that software side of things as I’ve got no experience with how GM structures the s/w and whether there is any commonality between different models and generations of the control systems (VF to ZB)…

Also not sure how the key fob system works and what messages the fob sends to the car, which module then process the fob signals and who sends lock, unlock, fold and unfold commands on the CAN bus. I guess the VF BCM is there towards the end but is that just for sniffing lock/unlock signal and sending voltage to the door locks (I can’t remember) …

So the question would be what does the ZB folding mirror module listen for? And who normally processes the key fob button presses and derives lock/unlock commands or fold/unfold commands.

In my mind it’s more elegant to get the BCM doing what it needs to do to talk to a folding mirror module. And it’s interesting that the WN export model had folding mirrors so in my mind I wonder whether the WN also had a folding mirror module like the ZB or whether it has a more capable BCM?

yeah the is a button on the door to toggle the mirror but the bcm controls the mirror folding, the mirror in the door is just a motor connected to the bcm.

basically the bcm can be set in the vehicle settings to put the windows down or fold the mirrors on double press(i think), it is the double press or long press that you can change.

there is no button on the remote for folding the mirrors so there is no special command sent from the remote for it.
think of it like a mobile phone gesture ie: short tap, long tap, double tap of the lock or unlock button.
in the zb the bcm will perform different functions based on the input gesture.

so in the vf you should be able to sniff the doors locking/unlocking message with a arduino module and fold the mirror accordingly but the question will be is the mirror a straight forward apply power to a certain wire to fold it one way etc or is it pwm.
if it is pwm then that will need to be investigated on the voltage and hz etc.

i think if someone had the right parts and the time they could build a module to do it just based on a double press of the lock/unlock button.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I’ll have to have another look at the VF and ZB workshop manuals around the wiring diagrams and modules involved in door locks, windows and mirror functions :p

It would be interesting to learn the same about the WN export model as well…

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Holden wanted much money for the MSE. It wasn’t a cheap car. In fact the LE’s down under were sold for RRP + a stupidly greedy dealer delivery charges which Holden did nothing about. Meanwhile, GM and their dealers sold them at a 40% discount from MSRP to off load them…

You know the “them”, those Chev SS’ with the extras that we missed out on including the HID headlamps I didn’t mention (but sans ACP/AA, folding mirrors and no electrochroamatic external passenger mirror)…
I reckon that’s why the wagon and Ute didn’t get their rear ends upgraded for VF. Because they weren’t going to the American market so who gives a fuk.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I reckon that’s why the wagon and Ute didn’t get their rear ends upgraded for VF. Because they weren’t going to the American market so who gives a fuk.
Nah, it was just volume vs budget. Sedan was most sales.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Holden wanted much money for the MSE. It wasn’t a cheap car. In fact the LE’s down under were sold for RRP + a stupidly greedy dealer delivery charges which Holden did nothing about. Meanwhile, GM and their dealers sold them at a 40% discount from MSRP to off load them…

You know the “them”, those Chev SS’ with the extras that we missed out on including the HID headlamps I didn’t mention (but sans ACP/AA, folding mirrors and no electrochroamatic external passenger mirror)…
The most I saw the Chevy SS discounted was 30% but don't forget that was sold in US$. Most of the car materials for the VF were purchased in US$.

The last cars were a premium for us here in Australia. We paid a fortune for them.

Think of it this way we were lucky to have the special editions added to our line up before production ended. Holden didn't have to make them. GM didn't have to approve the funding for them. The passion of the Holden staff put these cars in the line up. As for the costs of the additional spec, there wasn't a huge mark up with the costs associated to get these cars through the production line. I know as I have a copy of the additional cost for the Magnum, Motorsport and Director from their Redline and Calais Spec.

They were built to be priced under the luxury car tax threshold. The dealers became greedy in 2017 selling them with their exorbitant dealer delivery prices. People had no where to go.

And then more cars got released to the dealers later through that year. I know a number of limited editions Holden had reserved for many reasons being made available to dealers. Some were even made to the highest bidder within the employees.

Just drive as one of the best last Australian built cars they have ever made :cool:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Most of the wagon platforms never had a facelift in their rear end. VN-VS era. VT-VZ era all were the same. Same as VE-VF but they did upgrade to LED in series two for some silly amount in engineering. I shock my head when I heard that. They shouldof used LED from VF series 1.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
They shouldof used LED from VF series 1.
Holding off with obvious upgrades until a Series II was a standard for Holden.

One really obvious visual-upgrade example … VL ended with colour-coded bumpers, VN started with unpainted ones … so that a VN Series II could then include painted ones again.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The most I saw the Chevy SS discounted was 30% but don't forget that was sold in US$. Most of the car materials for the VF were purchased in US$.
Be it 30% or 40% discount, that’s a discount never the less and a darn better situation than we got down under. Also, in this case, a percentage is a proportional measurement of the discount within the US sale, exchange rate doesn’t factor.

If it was good enough for GM to discount in the USA, GM should have allowed Holden to have done the same.

I’d have preferred that these LE’s were treated as a loss leader, packaged to the hilt and sold cheap via a lottery sale. That way the Holden enthusiasts may have had a chance to own the best of the last and the general public may not have felt so ripped off at the 100’s of millions of public $$ GM skipped town with.

For me, the sales process was one of the worst I’d ever experienced and the bullshit around vehicle availability was shrouded in lies… GM/Holden could have done so much better…

Think of it this way we were lucky to have the special editions added to our line up before production ended…

Just drive as one of the best last Australian built cars they have ever made :cool:
The car is 90% there but between the skimping on some trivial features, some engineering foo bars and poor quality control, really if this was the best GM/Holden could manage, then it’s no surprise they closed shop…

Having said that, I do enjoy my car when I do drive it… despite its short comings :cool:

GavinDirectorVF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Director
2007 to 2012 Buick Park Avenue based on the WM caprice had them. Vehicle was Chinese market only.

Even had the indicator in the mirrors too. They are/were available from Holden Spares a few years ago when I looked into. I did have the part no's some where as I was going to grab a pair and do a side project. They were not cheap from memory. They fit but won't work off the key as no provision in our BCM. You could run a Separate switch and just press it to open and close them.
Would you happen to have those parts numbers ?