Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anybody recoed a Ecotec

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
and why would you ? there's plenty of Low K engines out there and honestly they would be better than something that's been rebuilt, just ask Losh with his experiences.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That engine was cursed, or someone had done some dodgy **** before he got it. He had the worst luck with that.

H

harrop.senator

Maybe not but he has a poor rep. He sold me Chinese lifters, I would have thought he'd know they were Chinese. I was warned by another member not to fit them as they would be crap. I won't deal with him again.

Warned by other members not to fit them , those aren't the lifters sitting in my shed are they? Hahaha

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Warned by other members not to fit them , those aren't the lifters sitting in my shed are they? Hahaha

No, no they were the replacements from another machine shop. Had I not pranged my ute they would have been fitted. The Chinese Nason were fitted and then found to be no good. You have Johnson lifters made in the US. The box is says Nason because they are the distributors of lifters in Australia. Underneath they say Johnson. I know some have said the shop near work who sold me junk lifters didn't know they were rubbish, I tend to disagree because they all come from the same distributor in Australia according to Merv Gray who sold me the replacement ones.

H

harrop.senator

Ahh yeah haha . Yeah nason make nothing they just re box from memory.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No, no they were the replacements from another machine shop. Had I not pranged my ute they would have been fitted. The Chinese Nason were fitted and then found to be no good. You have Johnson lifters made in the US. The box is says Nason because they are the distributors of lifters in Australia. Underneath they say Johnson. I know some have said the shop near work who sold me junk lifters didn't know they were rubbish, I tend to disagree because they all come from the same distributor in Australia according to Merv Gray who sold me the replacement ones.

It's really hard to say, maybe he's not done a lot of Commodore stuff? Maybe what he has used from Nason on other models has been fine? These kinds of shops only use a couple of suppliers for most of their stuff.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's really hard to say, maybe he's not done a lot of Commodore stuff? Maybe what he has used from Nason on other models has been fine? These kinds of shops only use a couple of suppliers for most of their stuff.
Not sure but considering the same lifters in Eco, SC and some LS he must have some knowledge. I should have went to Merv in the first place. Bloke near work was close and came in little cheaper, hence was easier.

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Ok,so on the flip side of this,mine is a 95 vs manual,should I be looking for a specific model Ecotec,or will they all just bolt straight up.I read on here somewhere before that someone reckoned the engines that came out with a manual gearbox had different cams etc?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I don't think so, but in saying that nothing would surprise me with GMH, whatever the difference it would be much compared to an Auto orientated camshaft, but like I said, "I don't think so". You can use any Ecotec engine from any model, but you will have to change the inlet manifold (valley) and sump if it's from a VT onwards. Also the EGR at the rear will have to be removed as VS didn't have that choking stuff fitted.