Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone had problems with standard tailshafts breaking?

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
Vz clubby comes standard with one from factory. Being its up the front n the shafts 2 peice, if the back breaks it will still throw round n do a fair bit of damage id imagine.
id like to see a picture of that. You not talking about the center bearing are you?

spanks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V UTE,VE SS SEDAN
I had 2 cups start to walk outwards of the centre uni on my VY.

Pressed it back together and re-peened the shaft...all good after that.

Ray-915

Squid
Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 HSV VZ R8 Clubsport M6/LS2
id like to see a picture of that. You not talking about the center bearing are you?

Nah, ive heared the rubber uni's can rip around where the bolts feed thru. Got me thinkn of the damage that would follow if this were to happen. Its been awhile since ive had a good look underneath so im not real sure how true this could be

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
Nah, ive heared the rubber uni's can rip around where the bolts feed thru. Got me thinkn of the damage that would follow if this were to happen. Its been awhile since ive had a good look underneath so im not real sure how true this could be
its not other wise i would have order one if its got one it aint from the factory

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
iv seen a tail shaft let go on a 4wd, made a nice mess, smashed up the gear box casing, draining the gearbox dry and oops ****ing the gear box :D this was how ever after we warned the customer there uni's required replacing and they said leave it cause there mate worked with us and he thought he'd get him to fix it cheap after his long out back trip.

best part was he blamed us for it and wanted it all fixed for free, hahaha no was the answer.

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
Guys here is a couple of launch shots from my ute i run consistant 1.4 60ft's, ive only ever broken 1 driveshaft R/H side, when i tryed to launch the car with track bite (VHT) the first time i ever went to use it, the driveshaft broke clean in half.

I run a tailshaft loope (just incase), triple plate clutch, standard driveshafts, standard tailshaft etc etc.....standard LSD just with different diff ratio.

To relieve a little bit in the back of your mind, if i didnt believe these parts wernt up to scratch, i wouldnt be running competition ANDRA meetings which cost $120 entry fee if they were going to break all the time & your out first round........

I start all my burnouts at the drag strip on slicks in 3rd gear, with street tyres i just use 4th gear straight up.

All up ive probably done approx 160 drag launches and only broken a driveshaft...........i definately give the thumbs up to holden engineers to handle this kind of power and abuse.

b19.jpg

b30.jpg

b37.jpg

Ray-915

Squid
Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 HSV VZ R8 Clubsport M6/LS2
Well thats cleared my mind! haha thanks for that mate. Dont think the clubby will ever be launching that hard so id say id be prity safe.

How much power that ss ute making? Thats bloody quick for just cam and nos ls1! Well done!

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Well thats cleared my mind! haha thanks for that mate. Dont think the clubby will ever be launching that hard so id say id be prity safe.

How much power that ss ute making? Thats bloody quick for just cam and nos ls1! Well done!

His old engine was an LS3 making over 350 rwkw N/A with just a cam. Add the NOS & it was a real weapon. He has upgraded engines since then & should be putting out over 420rwkw N/A.

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride

Dont say that your clubby will ever launch that hard, you never know where you will be in a years time, if the Drag racing bug hits you, you will be aiming for a launch like that.

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
His old engine was an LS3 making over 350 rwkw N/A with just a cam. Add the NOS & it was a real weapon. He has upgraded engines since then & should be putting out over 420rwkw N/A.

Correct Mick, the new engine is around that mark, as this new engine is still running in, once its done a few more runs, i will install the NOS bottles, and step up the NA tune. Will let you know what it makes.....

Aiming for 450rwkw NA & 700rwkw with NOS on my Mainline.