Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

has anyone had the lifters in a ls1 changed

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Olsen automotive at Lonsdale south of Adelaide - Daniel Olsen. Knows his ls1 v8 like the back of his hand. The work was done about 18 months or more ago so dont know if the price is the same. Whittlesea where is that? Not in SA is it?

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Go to the vcm store web site. It will give you an idea on part costs. I got the vcm 9 cam pack listed there with all the parts required. Cheers..

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
For parts, look at summit racing in the US. I did the work myself, but using genuine GM parts, the lifters, head gaskets, head bolts, valve springs, exhaust gaskets, leads and plugs delivered from the states was about $500.

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
I had a look at Vcm website, good $$ but I was more after a stock cam if I had to replace ( hopefully not tho) or what's the smallest I can go ( I don't understand cam sizes)

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
stock LS1 cam is 198I/208E .500lift I`m not sure on LSA but its high 116~118LSA making the idle smooth.

this may help a little
The 198I/208E = the degrees of the opening of the I (intake) and E (exhaust).

LSA is the lobe separation angle, the degrees of separation of the lobes for intake and exhaust, the closer they are together say 112 degrees is close and 117 is further apart. when they are close it creates overlap meaning the exhaust valve is still open when the intake valve is beginning its intake stroke letting in fuel/air mixture, this process lets unburnt fuel out of the exhaust at idle and bleeds off compression but gives that choppy idle that sound mean as #### at high RPM short LSA is more desirable as it creates more power.

finally lift, is how high the valve lifts. to let in more air~fuel mixture and let out more exhaust.

On the LS1 you will typically see the exhaust having more duration of around 10 degrees that`s because the exhaust outlet flow is not that great but the intake flows fine.

Attachments

• camspectrum1.jpg
    camspectrum1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
That pic is a great help not just for me but everyone! If I was going to change cam I would only got a tiny bit better like the ls6 cam or the next one on the list in the pic

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
That pic is a great help not just for me but everyone! If I was going to change cam I would only got a tiny bit better like the ls6 cam or the next one on the list in the pic
M8, my vcm 9 cam gives u an extra 40rwkw and it doesnt need you to upgrade to a high stall converter( if u have an auto). The idle is a little lumpy so u can tell its cammed but it performs great and its smooth as...fuel economy is barely more than when i had the standard factory cam. I would recommend this cam or the vcm21 which is similar. U wont regret it...

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
I'm not even sure if I have to replace yet so ill worry if it does need to be swapped