Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone here ever widened their wheels?

Darren D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Z-Series 6M Sedan
Hi all,

I would like to stick some fat rubber under the rear of my SS, after seeing pictures of a G8 with 305's under it I love the look.

But I also want to stay with the stock 19 inch wheel look.

Many wheel repair places offer weld repairs to cracked and broken rim sections (not the wheel centres), some extending this to offer wheel widening. To widen the wheels they require donor wheels to make 1 wider wheel from 2 of the same standard wheels. They machine the wheels then fit and weld around the rim to make the new wider rim.

So, I have 2 questions:

1 - Has anyone here ever done this?

2 - Does anyone around Brisbane have any gutter rashed 19 inch stock SSV or Thunder rims they are interested in selling?

Darren

P.S. The G8 with P305/30ZR19 tyres on 11 inch rims (+54mm)

IG8_Wheels_2_800.jpg

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Hi spectacular car all round that one.
1. Nope. Have you read the work these dudes did to fit?!
2. Yes my rims have gutter rash and will be in Briso next week. What are you swapping?

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
I have a 10" rim with 295s on the rear looks amazing but with a full load of passengers your going to rub up against the section where the rear bar lines up against the panel.

Darren D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Z-Series 6M Sedan
Thanks guys,

Yeah I read the changes that they employed to get the rubber under, not sure I want to go that extreme. First step for me, if I do go ahead with it, will be to "massage" the rear guard lip. Not looking to have them raped, just slowly and carefully rolled. From there assess rubber fit and get best result, trimming some under guard plastic doesn't concern me, nor repositioning a pipe clamp, but no dramatic cutting will occur.

I don't have any wheel that people would look to swap for, just seeeing if anyone has damaged ones for sale. All I need is good inner rims, front can be stuffed.

Darren

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
What's wrong with getting some HSV rims & running 285's - Which should not involve any scrubbing, rolling, etc etc etc.

Also, not that 275's are all that cheap, but when you start getting to 285's +, you're in Porsche tyre land where everything is stupidly expensive!

Darren D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Z-Series 6M Sedan
If I do it before September I can "repair" the rims and put the tyres on my lease.:idea3:

Darren

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Hi all,

I would like to stick some fat rubber under the rear of my SS, after seeing pictures of a G8 with 305's under it I love the look.

But I also want to stay with the stock 19 inch wheel look.

Many wheel repair places offer weld repairs to cracked and broken rim sections (not the wheel centres), some extending this to offer wheel widening. To widen the wheels they require donor wheels to make 1 wider wheel from 2 of the same standard wheels. They machine the wheels then fit and weld around the rim to make the new wider rim.

1. The first thing you should be asking is whether it is legal in your state to run wheels on your car that have been cut, welded and modified to increase the rim width.

2. In NSW for example it is not legal to run wheels which have had an insert section welded into the rim face to achieve a wider rim which is what you are talking about doing.

One of the requirements in NSW is: "The wheel rim must not have a circumferential weld other than that which attaches the rim to the wheel centre."

Do what you are proposing in NSW and your car will be unroadworthy. You will not be able to get a NSW DOT approval for wheels modified in this way because there is no provision for approvals for wheels modified as you propose.

The same rules apply in VIC and QLD. You could not legally fit wheels that have been modified as you propose and your car will be unroadworthy if you fit them.

3. Futhermore the wheels you fit to your car in this country must also meet particular size, construction and standards requirements. What you propose would not meet these requirements either.

4. It is your responsibility to ensure your vehicle meets the minimum roadworthy standards in your State. Modifiers can do what they like for you but at the end of the day it is the owners that have entire responsibility for work carried out on their cars that may deem them unroadworthy.

Contact the local authority in your State and explain to them exactly how you intend to modify your wheels. I am sure they will confirm the above.

Congratulations though on coming up with one of the top 10 most stupid ideas for 2013.

Darren D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Z-Series 6M Sedan
Thank you officer.

Darren now pushes back chair, shakes head and wonders why there is always some Wally that comes out like this.

Whether it is how low someone wants to set their car, how loud their exhaust is, does that air cleaner comply with the Design Rules, is that tyre size what it states on your tyre placard..........

If we wanted the RTA answer we would ask RTA. If we wanted the insurance answer we would ask the insurer.

Pull your head in - ########!!

Darren

Last edited:

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Thank you officer.

Darren now pushes back chair, shakes head and wonders why there is always some Wally that comes out like this.

Whether it is how low someone wants to set their car, how loud their exhaust is, does that air cleaner comply with the Design Rules, is that tyre size what it states on your tyre placard..........

If we wanted the RTA answer we would ask RTA. If we wanted the insurance answer we would ask the insurer.

Pull your head in - ########!!

Darren

So you're having a sook because why? Someone told you your idea is illegal and stupid? I think I know who really needs to pull their head in.