Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has Anyone Tried This Head Unit?

crazzymann

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY series II Commodore
Hey guys, I'm from The States and own a 2004 Pontiac GTO, which shares many similarities with the 2002-2004 VY Commodore. One of those similarities is the Blaupunkt head unit. I'm running the Phreddy's AUX input mod, but lately it's been acting weird, playing in mono and whatnot, so I'm thinking of upgrading. I stumbled across this head unit and, while a bit outdated, should be lightyears ahead of the old Blaupunkt - better yet, it appears to be a drop-in, plug-in-play replacement. Have any of you seen this before or, better yet, used it? Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

https://www.sigmacarstereo.com/hold...l=479&filter_tmdmake=23&filter_firstyear=2006

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
For that price you could buy a Pioneer with those features, which are really simple to add a reverse camera too.

crazzymann

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY series II Commodore
For that price you could buy a Pioneer with those features, which are really simple to add a reverse camera too.
It's true the price is little on the high side, but I really adore the plug-n-play aspect of it (no dismantling of the dash, just slide out, slide in), as well as the "almost stock" appearance. I asked around the GTO forums and no one had ever seen or heard of it. Considering it's billed as a "Commordore" head unit, I thought I'd ask around here too. Gonna be wild if I end up being the first dude to ever to buy it! o_O

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It already has the reverse camera.
Yeah I seen that but it doesn't say where the rear camera mounts or anything else about the camera. Some cameras are better than others. Some cameras fit in place of the number plate light, which are far more discreet than some. There are some not great cameras out there, which is why I suggested a Pioneer which you can get really good cameras that plug in for about $70.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Personally I prefer to go with a quality HU that you know will have good sound than something unknown that you might regret the first time it's fired up.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Camera is optional so you can buy a cam to suit your tastes and mounting preference.

Yes there are better out there but for drop in replacement, it does have everything needed and better than stock

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Those have been around for years. Maybe 7 years. Could be more. Good that it now offers CarPlay and Android auto.

There have been forum members using them that have been happy with them.

For the money, I’d be looking at major brands though. That headunit has a lot of outdated tech. A new Alpine or Pioneer would out do it easy for functionality and sound quality.

As for plug and play, well the days of wiring mods are long gone. There are plug and play harness adapters that allow the headunit of your choice to be plugged into what ever car you have. You’ll maintain the steering wheel controls as well.

As for the headunit slotting in, yes, some might see that as helpful. However removing the surrounding trims is one of the easier jobs to do on the Commodore/GTO. It took me about an hour to install my Alpine headunit. Removing the plastic box the factory headunit sits in isn’t that hard.