Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Have i been jibbed

Nastas

Reaction score
Well im in the middle of doing a few things to a VS V6 auto of mine. Firstly im doing a manual conversion, and secondly im adding some go fast bits. As part of the manual conversion i bought a VS manual wiring loom and pcm off ebay. When it arrived the loom looked like an auto loom to me (it was pinned for an auto not a manual) however the ecu clearly stated 3.8L Man PCM.

As part of making it go faster i am getting a chip burnt for the stuff that im adding. I got a phonecall tonight saying that they need to get the security code from the ecu so that they can burn the chip accordingly. I said it would be a bit hard bcos the ecu i needed to use was sitting in a box in my room. I was told to plug the manual ecu in just so we could get the code out then put the auto ecu back in.

I didnt think that the manual ecu would start the car with an auto as it wouldnt be able to select neutural etc in the auto. So i just went out and investigated. I took the old ecu out, put the manual ecu in and to my supprise it started. However it not only started it drives too, i havnt driven any higher than 5-10km an hour bcos its just in my yard but it selects between P, R, N, D etc and works properly.

So now im bloody confused as to weather i was sent a manual ECU or an auto ECU and what the bloody hell is going on.

So have i been jibbed and ended up with an auto ECU. Or is the manual ECU capable of controlling the auto transmission?

Attachments

• pcm.JPG
    pcm.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 199

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
its a manual ecu, this is what comes up on doctor bobs site

BZPT0725 $51 3.8L Man 16199728 For Getrag manual trans

but thats about as far as i go with vs stuff

Nastas

Reaction score
Ahh dont worry ive just been told that with a manual pcm it will still select 1st reverse park etc just wont change up gears. I freaked out for a moment there