Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

head gasket

makavel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Hey guys just wanted a rough idea on how much changing a head gasket would be in a 99 VT berlina as the ex owner of the car is paying for it to be done for me, and is there anything else that should be changed at the same time ?

WPN_L67

Reaction score
Members Ride
charged vu ute
Better off with a 2nd engine, muuch cheaper!!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Better off with a 2nd engine, muuch cheaper!!

Wow, how did you work that out? Especially since the OP said the previous owner is paying for it.

To the OP, I haven't had to do mine but I imagine it would take about 5 odd hours, maybe more. Then you also have to get the heads machined, and obviously need new parts (head gaskets, inlet manifold gaskets, etc). The price will depend on what the mechanic charges per hour. Just ring up a few local mechanics and ask them.

As for other parts, just the inlet manifold gaskets, and the exhaust gaskets.

WPN_L67

Reaction score
Members Ride
charged vu ute
v8 or v6?

yeah, i supose, it would be better to have the heads done. only because they are paying for it.

an ecotec engine is only around $600 plus, 5hrs fitting at $86.00 an hr. plus, oil, coolant, powersteer fluid and other consumables $100.00.

around, $1100??

cylinder heads, gaskets, coolant and oil.

another mechanic just done one........ $2500.00.

i thinks thats how i worked it out??????????????????????????????????????????????

makavel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
The car has not been taken for compression test yet. however can the inlet manifold gasket put oil into the radiator ?

WPN_L67

Reaction score
Members Ride
charged vu ute
no, it cant. head gasket.

WPN_L67

Reaction score
Members Ride
charged vu ute
then again, what type of oil is it?? definialty not auto trans fluid?? is the car running rough?? does it blow steem if you leave it for a while when you start it, after its been driven?? is there water in the oil??
does the coolant smell like exhaust gas??

makavel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
the oil under the radiator cap is black and when you rub its its thick and oiley. It does not blow anything that i can tell as in smoke but the temperature gauge on the dash takes for ages to get to operating temp and i do not believe it shows the correct temp. Further more of course depends where the head gasket could be damaged if it is. Eg near water jacket or something. The radiator smells oily

WPN_L67

Reaction score
Members Ride
charged vu ute
sounds like a head gasket. if the other blokes going to pay for it, get the heads done. if its a mate and u want to save him money, get a 2nd hand engine with low k's and decent warranty. all the engines we have fitted have been running for years, never had a problem. aslo, a good $200.00 investment is, an engine watchdog, with an lcd display and audible alarm. it can be programmed to go off at any temp, whereas the standard commo ones go off AFTER is overheated.