Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head light bolb upgrade

scojohara

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Will the plastic lenses in a VT handle a higher watage globe. I am thinking maybe a 55low 90 high or am I better off getting some of the narva 50+ globes. I live in the country and am looking for a better high beam. The next step after that is spot lights and I am not all that keen on that for this car.

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
No the lenses will not take higher wattage globes. What happens is that it may overload the fuse box wiring and you could have the same problem as some of the VL guys and melt the fuse box internals. You must keep to the headlight wattages and fuse limits to continue to have trouble free lighting.Thats not to say you can't fit a nice set of spotties up front with a new bumper, but its your choice!!!

235rwkw

Reaction score
imteresting

i had 55 /100 in for some years without any probs. still have 100 highs but change to phillips 50 plus much better light at 55w

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
how much high beam driving do u do? I would have thought that 100watt would be to much for the plastic lens, thanks 4 info

scojohara

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
We do quiet a bit of high beam driving living in the country so better lights are important. I am also used to good spot lights on our 4WD so normal factory lights with normal wattage globes is a bit of a shock. Spot lights on the VT is an option but there really isn't anywhere to put them without them looking out of place.
While I was replacing the H4 globe the other day (I replaced that with Narva plus 50) I noticed there is also another globe in a little spot incorporated in the lights. What wattage is this and what sort of globe is it? Maybe this would be able to upped in wattage. What do you think?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I have always had for almost 6 years 100/90's in my now departed SS, did 80,000km's never had a problem. Had the same in all my cars over the years

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Keep in mind that having higher wattage globes can void your insurance if you have an accident

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
scojohara said:
We do quiet a bit of high beam driving living in the country so better lights are important. I am also used to good spot lights on our 4WD so normal factory lights with normal wattage globes is a bit of a shock. Spot lights on the VT is an option but there really isn't anywhere to put them without them looking out of place.
While I was replacing the H4 globe the other day (I replaced that with Narva plus 50) I noticed there is also another globe in a little spot incorporated in the lights. What wattage is this and what sort of globe is it? Maybe this would be able to upped in wattage. What do you think?

The other light you are talking bout is the high beam globe when you flick the switch to high beam one globe comes on (the one by itself) and also the high beam filament of the one you replaced

Also why would having bigger wattage globes void your insurance wouldnt it be better to have brighter globes so you see more and less prone to hitting things

scojohara

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Yes getting more light is the plan. In the past the only way to do this was to up the wattage of the globes. You can now get the plus 50 globes that say they give more light than conventional ones however I am not convinced. The light coming from the plus 50 globes is certainly whiter but I am not sure there is any more of it. So would upping the wattage of the single globe increase the amount of light (it looks like a little spot to me)