Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head Light on when set to 0

tbblitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6.0 L
Hi all i picked upa a VZ ss 6 litre last night from a car yard and i have noticed when the head light switch is set to 0 and the car is running the head lights are on.

This switch is not set to auto its set to 0.

Am i missing something here or is the writing been stuffed with?

Fog light and parker switch works fine and same with auto and lights on. Its just the 0 option on the switch.
Thanks

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
known as the T82 Telstra kit - it was designed as their research showes your X% less likely to be in a crash if your headlights are on, so their cars were wired up so that it forced their drivers to always have the headlights on, the exception being switch to parkers on and it will only have the parkers on. Many companies followed suit having them installed to their company cars.

From another forum "MOST lease companies are now having this option enabled from factory. Telstra requires this of all company vehicles purchased from Holden Leasing. "

Have a look at the next Telstra van or wagon you pass ... the headlights lights will be on.

From memory its a hard wire link between the wiring and headlight switch.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vz-holden-commodore-2004-2006/53382-vz-change-lights-setup.html

Originally Posted by hkmonaro68
The car must have been owned by Telstra or some other company that requires its vehicles to have the lights on at all times,where as soon as the iginition is in the on position,the low beam will come on,regardless of ambient light,
You can remove it yourself,
Remove the instrument cluster surrounds, 2 top screws,then pull it out.
Now reach over with your fingers to the headlight switch and feel the 2 metal prongs that tension and hold the switch in, you press these in and the switch should come out.
You should then be able to see the extra wiring and module for the headlights on feature. you can remove it and plug the wiring connector straight into your switch.

some discussion

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/ve-holden-commodore-2006/154688-remove-telstra-headlights.html

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...7-headlights-come-when-ignition-switched.html

Last edited:

DSLXIK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7l
i'd say just leave it? probably won't be long till Australia catches up with Europe and makes it a law to have your headlights always on
unless they stay on when the car is off, then i don't see a problem

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Can't enforce such laws for cars already produced, if it happened it would be for all new cars.

I generally always have my headlights on during the day, so many morons around it pays to be as visible as possible.

DSLXIK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7l
yeah exactly, doesn't take much to turn them on and leave them on, and you get a little bit of extra safety

don't know about Australia but most countries in europe have it enforced for all cars that are registered. Had to remember to turn them off in my uncle's 80's merc when i was there lol

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I think in Europe Daytime Running Lights are compulsory on all new cars. VE's and Cruzes have the option when programming, possibly the rest of the Holden range as well I haven't noticed.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
I know with the mid 2000's Volvos, they ran at 50% brightness when set to "off", parkers when set to parker (so obviously thats a seperate 5watt light running a bit dimmer), and 100% brightness when set to On, which was also something that could be programmed on or off, but I'm not sure of the European rules so I cant comment on how it worked over there.

Always thought it was a nifty idea though

Also TB if you do take the module out and dont want it holler out, I'll pay postage to send it my way.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Volvos probably use pulse width modulation rather than seperate globes allowing multiple brightness levels from one globe.