Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Header paint

SlikUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 S2 ute
Anyone got any good gen on paint (or alternatives) for extractors? Got a dark colour in mind to help dissipate engine heat.

Thanks,

Slik

Snap

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Commodore
You don't want to dissipate heat from the exhaust gases. The idea is to keep the heat in the gasses to improve things like the speed at which it exists the system.

Hence why heat coatings are used so extensively on performance and race cars.

My advice is to look up industrial coasting in your phone book and ring around. Someone will have what you require in your price range.

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
I was sort of wondering the same thing. My reasons are I have bought a set of Pacemakers for my 5.0L and since the motor is out I have cleaned it up and used Engine paint to spruce it up a bit. Would it hurt to use the same Heatproof paint as I have used on the Motor. Dosn't really matter but I reckon it would look better than the Bluey Gray they will go. The motors Black and I have polished the Engine covers so I thought Black Headers would look OK.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
It wouldnt last on your extractors mate. Do like snap suggested & check out the industrial coatings.

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
yeah normal engine paint will burn off extractors the second you planted your foot.

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
IN the new issue of steet commodores (110) page 18 there is info on exhaust wrap-
QUOTE "can withstand continuous heat up to 2000deg F and avail in 15,20 and 100ft lengths and either 1"or 2" wide" it's black and they list a website also. hope this helps

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
yeah i used to have exhaust wrap stuff on mine, it was good.

kezvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnexecutive wagon
try this get your pipes sandblasted dont touch them with your hands wrap them in clean rag give them a very light coat of exaust paint leave them overnight next morning give another coat leave another day till totaly dry put exaust on when you start car let run till pipes start to smoke stop engine let exaust go cold before you start engine again i guarante what ever you have painted your exaust it wont burn off and it will stay the same colour it waspainted i did my extractors white 12 months later still white has not burnt off took 3 days but worth it