Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headers/Cats Question

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
This has probably been covered and if so, Sorry... Just link me to where I can find it. As my searches came up pretty dry..
But what's the difference between

4 into 1: 1”5/8 primary , 2.5” secondary;
4 into 1: 1”3/4 primary , 3” secondary;
4 into 1: Step-up (1"5/8 to 1”3/4) primary , 3” secondary;

I wanna get extractors/cats etc for my SS but I don't understand the whole difference and what I should be going for.
And as for cats is there something I want to be looking for or staying away from? 100 rating on the cats alright?

Bit dumb on this side of things, so thought I'd jump on here and ask :)
Hopefully there's no stupid questions :p

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Depends on what system you have. Match the headers and cats to that.

But really, it makes no real noticeable difference what size you go for on the extractors. With modern EFI engines, the PCM has a range of maps it references when calculating how much fuel and timing to throw at the engine. I say go big. 1 7/8" primay 4-1 with either a 3" or 2 1/2" outlet depending on the system. Don't go 100 cell cats, they are illegal.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
No comment....

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
I wouldn't bother with buying XFORCE gear brand new. They're honestly built pretty poorly. Not an Abba Fan (who is JC Forums go-to exhaust guy) can get you quality australia made and developed exhausts (not cheap asian copies like xforce) for a very similar price. I've had a Manta twin 2.5" exhaust from NAAF and honestly, best exhaust ive ever had and sounds awesome with zero drone.

Those 3" tailpipes will sound tough at idle, but thats about it. Will be raspy as hell and drone like crazy. There's no real performance plus of going for a 100cell cat, so keep it legal and geta 200cell (factory is like 400-600?)

I'm sure NAAF will be willing to hook you up with a quality exhaust. He will even ship it straight out to you for peanuts.

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
Oh okay, well fair enough.
The reason I'm asking is I currently have a 3" Xforce Stainless Cat back, but the rear mufflers are rusted out to no end so need replacing.

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
That hasn't lasted too long. I was considering an X Force even though people were saying how crap they were. I think this has convinced me to look elsewhere.

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
My manta 3" stainless has been on my VE car for 6 years and about 80,000km and is still in great condition.

I live close to the coast and it hasn't rusted out, ironically i gave my stock rear mufflers to my old man for his SV6 and they have since rusted through.

Would buy another Manta tomorrow with no hesitation

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
I've also got Pacemaker 1 3/4 and Manta cats which mate up to the catback no problems. Great system, great sound!