Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headers or Extractors

holden1986

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS- Commodore Ute
I was discussing the future mods to my ute with a mate from work and my girlfriends bro. They both told me different things, one said tuned headers are the way to go with a 2 1/2 inch system and the other said pacemaker extractors, what is the best to help gain a little more perfromance?

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
arent they both the same thing? just some companies call them headers and others call them extractors

i have advance headers on my car, but i just thought they were a different brand of extractor

and yes they do give you better performance

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
headers and extractors are the same thing, headers is a old skool name for what now the new term for us youngsters is extractors

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
close...headers is an american word (they just like to be different over there) but they refer to exactly the same thing, the exhaust manifold.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
I was originaly told that headers where tuned length ie: each scavanger is the same length and extractors werent?
Having said that you can get different styles of extractors or "headers" Such as 4 into 1's or tri y's but thats in v8 applications though.

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Headers and extractors are the same thing!, u can get tuned length headers and extractors, they also both come in differnt construction methods ie 4-1, tri-y etc.

Im young and i call em headers.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Dan 202 - 355 said:
I was originaly told that headers where tuned length ie: each scavanger is the same length and extractors werent?
Having said that you can get different styles of extractors or "headers" Such as 4 into 1's or tri y's but thats in v8 applications though.

Pacemaker 'Extractors' are tuned length. And as has been well established they are the exact same thing, Headers being the old term and the US term, Extractors being the younger Australian term.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Yer i know that! lol Ill still call them extractors. Sounds cooler. :)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I used to call anything tuned length extractors and anything else headers but hmm these days I call everything headers. I figure the americans are the best guys in the world at building them for production car motors so I'll use their word. Maybe the americans should have called them extractorz replacing s's with z's seems to be a favourite (favorite for the yankz) thing for them to do :p