Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headlight upgrade

Outlaw Torn

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 FORD EA Falcon (So sue me)
Hi there. Im in the process of upgrading my headlights from 60-55's to something around 120-100 or 100-85. At the moment there are no relay systems for the headlights. Wot i want to know is do i need to upgrade the wiring and put in a relay system or would simply replacing the bulbs be sufficient.

Cheers. Luke

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
would recommend putting a relay in. it will work as is but you will melt the wires/fuses. put an inline fuse on the +ve feed to the relay. Buy a relay with instructions if you dont know how to wire them properly

sparky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
yeah i would chuck a realy in there. also do you need the low beam to be that high, i run 100/55 in my vx and they're fine. I used to have 100/90 in my VN, even though they were great i would still get lots of people flashing me coming the other way as they are a lot brighter than standard lows.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Re-wire the entire system mate.....You will be doubling the current and chances are that the original wiring on the back of the bulbs won't stand up t the added current.

Outlaw Torn

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 FORD EA Falcon (So sue me)
thx alot ppl. this advice is really helpful. i will keep it in mind when i get another commy. see my thread in the pub. Basically, my cars a write off.
thx any way

Luke

VK1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk berlina
yeah put a really in or u'll kill ur orginal wires, really can brighten you'r lights anyhow i'd put the relay in b4 changing you'r globes bud! relays will make you'r lights more less lickly 2 burn out & brighter!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You should be able to technically do it as I had an ARB light system on my old Subi that ran 100/130watt globes. The factrory wiring is the same gauge as the ARB loom I used. The Commodores are already fitted with 40 amp relays and the factory wiring should handel it. However you do risk a fire in doing this if not checked. the weak point in the lighting system is in the headlamp itself. All the wiring needs to much thicker, especially the earth. It is still a fire risk all round and I wouldn't do it. Perhapes go for the Phillips Diamond vision globes instead. same wattage as factory but much higher light output.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Subarus come standard with heavy gauge wiring for headlights. I too didn't need to upgrade my wiring when I swapped out my lights 110/150 bulbs. But after looking after Commodore wiring it certainly needs to be done.

Nobody Actually

luxo barge
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 wm Caprice
12Voltking said:
Subarus come standard with heavy gauge wiring for headlights. I too didn't need to upgrade my wiring when I swapped out my lights 110/150 bulbs. But after looking after Commodore wiring it certainly needs to be done.

yeah, but you put another 10 odd pairs of spotlights on the subie, so you probably would have had to have a play with the wiring any way.............

but at least now you can send morse code to the space shuttle...................................