Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Headlights on feature" sometimes work

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
My 07 VZ wagon being ex Govt, has the "headlights on" feature, meaning the headlights come on when the ignition is turned on, but this feature only works sometimes.
Example is I have not seen them work for months until I did 95 k's on the highway on Wednesday and they came on somewhere along the highway.
They were working Thursday and yesterday, but not working this morning.
They work perfectly through the headlight switch.
Any suggestions would be appreciated but I am considering the easy way is to disconnect the feature as I did on another VZ a few years ago.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
The "headlights on" feature as fitted to the VZ only works if the headlight switch is turned to "Auto" and then is controlled by the light sensor fitted in the top of the dash. Means that the headlights will not operate automatically until outside light drops below a preset level so, no headlights until it is fairly dark, not midnight but where GM deems it unsafe to be driving without headlights. And yes they will operate at seemingly unusual times

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
My 07 VZ wagon being ex Govt, has the "headlights on" feature, meaning the headlights come on when the ignition is turned on, but this feature only works sometimes.
Example is I have not seen them work for months until I did 95 k's on the highway on Wednesday and they came on somewhere along the highway.
They were working Thursday and yesterday, but not working this morning.
They work perfectly through the headlight switch.
Any suggestions would be appreciated but I am considering the easy way is to disconnect the feature as I did on another VZ a few years ago.

My '06 VZ had the "headlights on" feature.
I had the car from new and as it got older (8-9 years) the feature started working intermittently. We would put the headlights on Auto so if it failed it would still turn on during low light.
In the end I removed the "headlights on" module with the intention of putting DRLs on the car, but sold it due to change in the boss's transportation requirement.

Cheers, Nick