Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headlights

LittleMissVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport
My driver side head light has streaking inside it... I spoke to my local Holden about it, they told me they couldn't do anything, that it was from condensation inside the unit.

Is there a way I can clean/fix this?

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
Are there sides vents? Condensation is from the seal. You can try and heat the head lamps in a convection over (remove lamps first) around 120c and clamp it back down.

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
Forgot to say, heat for 10 - 15 mins only. This will unset the sealant around the headlight surround. Clamp ad allow to cool for 20mins. This should only be performed if your lights have vents. If not you will have to remove the cover. Check for screws and pull out from one side to another. Left to right or right to left. One continues movement and avoid contact with plastics.

Clean inside with lint free cloth, do not use any cleaning product, if your head light has a chrome plates insert this can be removed for better access and is usually held in with clips only.

When reassembled, heat light again and clamp closed as described before.

Light should be centered in the oven with no part touching the sides, top or bottom. Preheat the oven before placing head light inside for hearing.

Might be worthwhile installing Halo's while your at it, or easier to replace light with a new one

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Forgot to say, heat for 10 - 15 mins only. This will unset the sealant around the headlight surround. Clamp ad allow to cool for 20mins. This should only be performed if your lights have vents. If not you will have to remove the cover. Check for screws and pull out from one side to another. Left to right or right to left. One continues movement and avoid contact with plastics.

Clean inside with lint free cloth, do not use any cleaning product, if your head light has a chrome plates insert this can be removed for better access and is usually held in with clips only.

Light should be centered in the oven with no part touching the sides, top or bottom. Preheat the oven before placing head light inside for hearing.

Might be worthwhile installing Halo's while your at it, or easier to replace light with a new one

Doing this will void warranty on the lights..

Id just pester Holden until they do it for you, Or if they refuse, go to the dept of fair trading about it...

Part of the vehicle isnt operating to how it was meant to be, which means it is a warranty repair job if there is still warranty..

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
Depends on how much one you have and patience, hope you get a new one under warranty but I'm not holding my breath.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
My driver side head light has streaking inside it... I spoke to my local Holden about it, they told me they couldn't do anything, that it was from condensation inside the unit.

Is there a way I can clean/fix this?

Is it still in warranty?

Yes. Have 2 years left.

Then it's covered by warranty. Seals on headlights shouldn't fail so soon. There should be no condensation inside the unit.

They'll just use the "wear & tear" line. Try another dealer if you can, or keep on their backs.

That's a BS line. If they won't REPLACE the headlight under warranty, you just go to Fair Trading.

This is a simple problem with a simple and FREE fix.

LittleMissVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport

Are you serious? I couldn't even work out how to reset the trip screen, let alone do all that jazz... and I have no idea what a Halo is.. apart from the one sitting above my head.

On a different note, thank you for the advice though. I might try a dealership in Perth rather than down here & see if they will do it... If all else fails I might get someone else to attempt the above instructions for me lol.