Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headunit not holidng memory

Bosscoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Hey guys,

Ok I've read in a few places on here about the red/yellow wires. I'm a bit confused and I've had my head unit installed by a mate. Happens when I turn the car off.
Here are a few photos to give you an indication of where I'm at atm. If you guys need any more pictures or information feel free to give me a yell.

98 Calais if that helps.

P.S I have no tools to test volts.
The red/yellow wires I've mixed e.g Yellow on red, Red on yellow - head unit won't turn on.
I mix them together Yellow on yellow, red on red join them together - head unit turns on.

Headunit

Left over wires

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
lol, what a mess. dont let your mate work on your car again!!

red on headunit goes to yellow on car
yellow on headunit goes to orange on car

check your fuses, because i can near guarantee he blew the fuse that powers the orange wire.

theres probably more thats wrong with the wiring setup, id personally drop it off to someone who knows what theyre doing and pay the money to get it fixed.

Bosscoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
lol, what a mess. dont let your mate work on your car again!!

red on headunit goes to yellow on car
yellow on headunit goes to orange on car

check your fuses, because i can near guarantee he blew the fuse that powers the orange wire.

theres probably more thats wrong with the wiring setup, id personally drop it off to someone who knows what theyre doing and pay the money to get it fixed.

LOL cheers for the info bud, I'll make the changes now and let you know it goes soon.

Bosscoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Legend,

You were right, swapped the wires over and joined them together and the head unit stays on.
Right about the blown fuse as well, just heading up to the servo to get another one.
Fingers crossed that the head unit holds memory. Getting sick and tied of setting it up, been doing so every day for the past 5 months.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Just for future vistors, use ISO plugs that are so much neater and if you ever want to put the original stereo back in (selling?) its a 10 min job.

Aerpro_APP064__60422.1405452138.1280.1280.JPG

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Fingers crossed that the head unit holds memory. Getting sick and tied of setting it up, been doing so every day for the past 5 months.
Fingers should be crossed that it hasn't caught fire in the last 5 months