Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

heat shield on aftermarket headers

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
got pulled over today and the cop pointed out my aftermarket headers, im on my learners right now, so its fine, but when im on my p's ill definitely get done for it because its classed as an engine modification. other then my headers, no mods really stick out like my diff because you cant even see it, and my car hasn't been lowered yet so nothing obvious they can really get me on. i was thinking though, if i could get the stock heatshield and somehow mount it, or someone make a heatshield for me, there would basically be no way of telling.
just want to see what other people reckon, dont want to go through the hassle of having to remove them if i get a defect, because headers on an alloytec are fu*ked to take out and put back in. anyone whos done them with the engine still in, and all the sh*t surrounding it will know exactly what im talking about.
and before anyone says it, im not gonna put the stock exhaust manifold back on, dont even have it anyway.
cheers.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
So, you're not even a P plater yet?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Grab a stock heat sheild and test fit

Then post pictures for possible tips for modifications and fitment

A fabricated one will most likely not look stock

Or, don't give the police a reason to pop your bonnet

So.....Don't do up your car with stickers, really low suspension, noisy exhaust or drive it like a **** wit

I'm not saying to not modify your car, just do it smart, like a adult would, not a "look at me" heat seeking teenager

This method has worked for me

Don't be a heat seeker, just listen to heat seeker

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec

So.....Don't do up your car with stickers, really low suspension, noisy exhaust or drive it like a **** wit

I'm not saying to not modify your car, just do it smart, like a adult would, not a "look at me" heat seeking teenager

yeah i wish i didnt throw the heatshield out when i was doing my exhaust. ill probably get one online somewhere and see how it fits. and yeah i know man, it is a bit of a cop magnet. just want it to look nice and not have a grandpa spec look. its fine when youve got an ls under the bonnet because at least youll be fast, just dont want it to look sh*t and pretty much be sh*t too. but yeah if i do keep getting pulled over stickers are the first thing to go.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Stickers do not make a car look nice, except to kids

Grandpa spec = Sleeper = grey man = you still have your licence and your car isn't defected

If you keep your car looking like a heat seeker you will keep getting pulled over

I know alot of cops, we talk about cars like yours, they see them as targets, typically they are modified, some dangerously

Don't be a target

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
got pulled over today and the cop pointed out my aftermarket headers, im on my learners right now, so its fine, but when im on my p's ill definitely get done for it because its classed as an engine modification. other then my headers, no mods really stick out like my diff because you cant even see it, and my car hasn't been lowered yet so nothing obvious they can really get me on. i was thinking though, if i could get the stock heatshield and somehow mount it, or someone make a heatshield for me, there would basically be no way of telling.
just want to see what other people reckon, dont want to go through the hassle of having to remove them if i get a defect, because headers on an alloytec are fu*ked to take out and put back in. anyone whos done them with the engine still in, and all the sh*t surrounding it will know exactly what im talking about.
and before anyone says it, im not gonna put the stock exhaust manifold back on, dont even have it anyway.
cheers.
There are exemptions available here in QLD to make it “by the book”. Probably a safer bet than trying to cover up the extractors and getting caught out.

Being a P plater you’ll almost certainly get checked over and caught out at some point so having authorisation papers for “driving the car my parents gave me” is the smarter way to go. Have a read of the below and see what works for your situation.

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/li...red vehicle,pay the exemption application fee

If you are caught driving a high-powered vehicle and you do not hold an exemption, you will receive a fine and demerit points.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
A grandpa comment......... back when, in the days of underpowered, evil handling cars, it was easy to add extractors, carbs, cams, wheels and suspension, brakes ? (not really required) and improve performance by a great margin without worrying about cops, regulations and a myriad of other legalities.

Those days are well and truly gone, and if you want extra performance it is easy to buy something that can exceed your driving talent.
My advice to any younger driver ( which will be ignored until they become grandpas ) is to leave it stock, service and keep it clean and unmodified.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive

Agree totally. I don’t have heat shields on mine. If the car still looks relatively stock and is driven normally (especially when police are around) then they shouldn’t really have a reason to pull you over.
I have extractors on my sv6, and I am on my p plates, car looks stock from the outside, and I have never been pulled over whatsoever. The includes driving past police, and then being near me at the lights, etc.

Just be sure to be aware about insurance and the implications of such modifications

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Stickers do not make a car look nice, except to kids

Grandpa spec = Sleeper = grey man = you still have your licence and your car isn't defected

If you keep your car looking like a heat seeker you will keep getting pulled over

I know alot of cops, we talk about cars like yours, they see them as targets, typically they are modified, some dangerously

Don't be a target
yeah guess its just a teenager thing lol, i know i probably should get rid of them, just makes it stand out a bit, but thats not always a good thing.