Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heater Core or something else?

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
The quick, simple solution is to put some radiator sealer in the system. Thats what that stuff is made for, and would probably see the life of the vehicle out.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
u can do it urself man its really not as hard as it seems just time consuming. aslong as u get ur aircon degassed u got nothing 2 worry about. i did mine in 7 hours over 2days and bought my heater core off ebay which turned out 2 b a local guy selling them 4 $110 i think it was then all u need 2 buy is coolent so ud save urself 800+ if u do it urself. the money u saved u can get it regassed and still b in front. Give it a go man if u need a hand gimme a call.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Thanks Ant.
May possibly get your assistance for some brews or coin if need be.
Would much prefer to save myself some huge money, especially seeing as the part itself costs stuff all!!

I'm getting my exhaust done hopefully in the next week, but will see how much money I have left after, may look at getting onto it straight away, or waiting a little bit.
Think I have a contact down the road that should be able to degas and regas for free or stuff all.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
its a big job if your not tech minded at all,,but hay if you do it ya self.......70% cheaper
Thanks Ant.
May possibly get your assistance for some brews or coin if need be.
Would much prefer to save myself some huge money, especially seeing as the part itself costs stuff all!!

I'm getting my exhaust done hopefully in the next week, but will see how much money I have left after, may look at getting onto it straight away, or waiting a little bit.
Think I have a contact down the road that should be able to degas and regas for free or stuff all.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
its a big job if your not tech minded at all,,but hay if you do it ya self.......70% cheaper

If u can read a gregories manual its bascailly just a big jigsaw puzzle lol seriously its not that hard.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
no its not at all.....some ppl think its harder than it realy is.....wrx your spot on
If u can read a gregories manual its bascailly just a big jigsaw puzzle lol seriously its not that hard.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Just trying to plan ahead here..
Is there anything else worth swapping out or freshening up if I was going to do the heatercore myself.
Other parts or bits that should be replaced to avoid having to potentially do another dash out job anytime in the near future?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah they say u should replace the evaporator core aswell even if its not leaking just so u dont have 2 pull the dash out again lol, coz its inside the HVAC box aswell. Tho at the time i didnt think of doing this so instead i got mine pressure tested and flushed out neways n shes been good since.

Another part u could replace is the TX valve involving the aircon but again up 2 u that part is easy 2 replace aslong as u got no gas in the lines.

Thermostat if u havent done that ina while? since ur dropping the coolent it wouldnt hurt, i did mine only coz i had never replace it b4 in the 90k kms that i owned the car.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Cheers Ant, might look into these.
Not sure when I'll get around to doing this though, hopefully sometime in the next couple months. I'd like it fixed asap!
:p

little bit worried about doing it myself still haha.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Got a quote from Youngs Holden today just to see what they'd charge to do this... was quoted $1800.
No wonder I never take my car for anything. Every quote I've ever had for anything service related there is astronomical.
I understand it's a **** job etc, but I was expecting max of 1200-1300