Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heater core

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
like so:

mortonvq59.jpg

Ranuip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp
I was told that you have to take out the whole dash.......? Gotta be an easier way though. Mine started leaking late last year, so I just by passed the heater tap etc so no coolant was leaking into the drivers aide footwell. Gonna have to get it fixed before summer comes along though.

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
That's pretty much it dude. If you wanna cut and shut copper pipes with some hose and clamps (dodgey in the cabin) then you can get it out with the top dash in place.

psychotic46

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP commodore
would it make a diff if the engine was out of the car, like in an engine exchange cenareo...fingers crossed

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Not really. Here's the problem:

1) the pipes from the heater core protrude two inches FORWARDS through a very small hole in the firewall
2) the heater core is very firmly wedged in the climate control box, and can only be removed SIDEWAYS

Attempting to pull the pipes back can't be done, because the heater core won't move back in the climate control box
Attempting to pull the heater core out of the climate control box can't be done because the pipes won't move sideways in the firewall

In my first picture you can clearly see the complete climate control unit (dead centre beyond the gearstick). You must remove this too, in order to replace the heater core properly.

You CAN remove the OLD heater core without getting everything out, but you WILL break it.
You can NOT install a new heater core without breaking it also :)

In fairness though, once the dashboard is out, it's REALLY easy. Five screws and you can tug the whole climate control unit back from the firewall, and do your thing.

mortonvq62.jpg

Staggie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1, VK Wagon EFI 5.0L
What they all said, just did all of the above last weekend. Worst part was having to get the ac de gassed and re gassed.

Took about 7 hrs start to finish.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Go hard, son :p

Seven hours - that's a bloody marathon efford. Hats off to you ^_^ I did it over two days.