Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

heater fan wont turn off???

Youngblood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
hi all, just bought a vr statesman with the heater fan that wont turn off, even when the key is removed from ignition the fan still stays on high, the funny type fuse under bonnet has been removed to stop it.....now Im thinking maybe the climate control switch is buggered but that shouldn't keep the fan on even when the car is off, Im stumped...any ideas guys?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
It's the fan speed controller that it located in the plenum chamber. It's a semiconductor I think a FET transistor from memory and it is faulty.
You can go to Holden and pay through the nose for a new one or pull it apart and solder in a new component. I've fixed one before and managed to find the correct part at an electronics store for less than $20. New from Holden your probably looking at over $150 from memory. You need to use heat sink compound as well.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Check that the relay is not stuck on first.

Youngblood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
I pulled out the relay under bonnet and swapped some around to check if it was faulty, made no difference, I will try the ones under the dash and if I cant find a faulty relay I'll try the fan speed controller, thanks guys, I'm always one to pull **** apart to see how it works and try to repair myself, heres a tip...never replace you cruise control switch...take it apart and realign and clean the buttons, its as good as new again. I will update tomorrow on my progress. cheers

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
My money is on what Wortus said..fan speed resistor behind the plenum cover. Easy enough to replace. One beer should cover it.

Youngblood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Ok....definatly not a relay....I pulled the thingy out from under the plastic under the windscreen wipers and will be replacing it tommorow with part number 2sd1297.....I read through lots of posts today and this could be the source of the problem....where exactly is the fan speed controller located, what does it look like and what needs to come off to get to it? a picture would tell a thousand words. cheers guys

Youngblood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
I done some more reading and I think the plenum is the plastic thing under the windscreen wipers, I thought it was the intake on top of the engine, I think we are on the samepage now..lol....heading to g.b. telespares in maidstone tomorrow for the replacement resistor, oddly enough they dont have a contact number, so I hope they're open, Will update with results tomorrow night....technicly today