Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heating/Radiator Overheating

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Sorry Guys, had to post this pic from home before work, will update thread when I get to work tonight.

Hosepic_zpsc699a252.jpg

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
+ 1 on a new heater tap. That is pretty unlucky though.

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Jesus you blokes are too damn quick. Love your work. My first question was going to be is that the heater tap. The top hose sheared off and the one underneath where that was is leaking badly.

Car had only been going for about 5 mins when temp alarm went off and temp guage skyrocketed. Whacked the heater on and temp started to go back down, only had about 800 metres to drive to get home. Alarm kept going off, nursed it home with heater gauge near the top again and turned it off with steam pissing from every orifice.

Do you reckon this is going to have done any head gasket damage or anything or is it fit the new tap and see what happens. I have been losing water for some time, not knowing where it is going but as the car is not a daily, I just kept topping up with new coolant. I thought it might have been the inlet manifold issue I read so much about.

Will search for a new tap and keep you all informed, I have the next 4 days off so hopefully will get this resolved.

Cheers for the excellent responses. Glenn

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Sounds like it will be ok.
Good luck mate.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Fit a new heater tap and pressure test the cooling system. It'll shed a light on any external and internal coolant leakage. Most simplest of test procedures but a lot of people give it a miss. A 'decent' cooling system pressure test kit will cost you close to $50, a bargain in my eyes. And then again, you could get your money back by pressure testing your mate's and family member's cars for a small charge. A worthwhile investment.

Good luck with the repairs.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Once a week open and close the heater tap they can seize.

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
ipswich - on the right side of the tracks
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
I bought one of the gates heater taps , minus the hoses as mine were still ok , no problems with it and quality is good.