Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heavy Steering

degeneration

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sportwagon
Since new my VE has had heavier than normal (have rented 6 others) steering. Rentals I could park with the open palm of my hand, mine not. It's just an sv6 wagon with nothing special pre or aftermarket.

A year ago I started needing to park a dozen or so times a day, and the steering was becoming a real pain to use. At low speed especially at the end of travel the thing required a fair bit of muscle to manoeuvre. My wife refuses to drive it (good/bad I'm not sure...:surprise:).

I took it over to Holden, who proceeded to replace the upper strut bearings on the front. The steering seemed to be lighter. A couple of months later the steering is starting to get heavy again.

The car has only done 29 000km, no accidents, no mounting gutters/median strips, tyres are all good, alignment was checked 2 000km ago and now has new strut top bushes.

I'm a bit wary of taking it back because I think they'll just tick off the next thing on the list and charge me like a wounded bull.

Has anyone had this kind of thing happen to them and worked it out?

Any other ideas welcome as well!

fanga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0ltr V8
Tyre width, size and pressure can affect steering . First thing i would check is the the pump, low fluid pressure maybe ?

degeneration

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sportwagon
The tyres are original standard issue Bridgestones that came with the SV6 as were the tyres (and kms) on the rentals I was comparing it with. I check my pressures are to spec every second/third time I fill up the gas, and as I rotate my own wheels every year the tyres have worn nicely.

I'll get someone to check the pump pressure and report back.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
What happened during warranty. If the issue was raised it is still covered.

degeneration

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sportwagon
What happened during warranty. If the issue was raised it is still covered.

Thanks for your input, I guess you talking about the warranty on the bush replacement. Although I'm only an amateur mechanic, I can't see the bushes wearing out in such a short time. I'm pretty sure they won't wear the wrong diagnosis of the problem, but I might just bring it up politely... :blah blah:

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
If the steering has changed or is too heavy from new it is Holden that pays for repairs, you only pay for service items. If you had a problem and reported it, tried to get it fixed in the 3 year warranty it is covered until fixed. If you have been charged speak to Holden or another dealer.