Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heel-Toe vs Rev Matching On Downshift

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Heel and toe is only really needed if you are downshifting and braking simultaneously at speed. I've managed to do it on the racetrack, but it is a bit awkward. Unlike V8 Supercar pedals, street cars usually aren't setup for it. My throttle pedal sits higher than my brake pedal which results in fairly interesting angles on my leg when I heel & toe.

But I only bother on track days, simply so the back wheels don't lock up on downshifts. And I find it a lot easier on the track, because I'm normally standing on the brakes fairly hard as I'm downshifting - so I can keep the toes on the brake pedal fairly hard while I tap the heel on the throttle.

I originally practiced it a bit on the street with not a lot of success. Most braking on the street is light to moderate, so when you dig your heel into the throttle the toes end up jamming the brakes on hard at the same time. End result is you usually end up slamming the brakes on too hard! But as soon as I hit the track, I found it a lot easier for reasons already mentioned.

But as said no need on the street, the only reason it's done on the racetrack is to stop the rear wheels from locking up on downshifts - which shouldn't be an issue on the street if you are driving responsibly ;)

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
The reason for heel/toe blips of the throttle slowing down started with old manual gearboxes that rarely had synchro's and thus, unless the engine revs matched the gearbox revs it would grind the gears. When syncromesh gearboxes were introduced it became largely redundant although if you were racing, matching the revs on the downshift will prolong syncro life. For normal day to day driving it is not necessary but under high rev/heavy braking applications on a track day it will save your gearbox. That said - mess it up and you are likely to do more wear.

Reaper
non-synchro boxes required 'double clutching', which is a different thing again. Still got to do it on some of the big truck road ranger boxes.
The process of double clutching is - clutch in, shift into neutral, release clutch & rev, clutch back in and shift into gear.

heel & toe on the other hand is a practice used on race cars like V8 Supercars to reduce the rear wheels from locking up (due to engine compression) when downshifting at speed.

ozdash

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Series 1 Wagon
The process of double clutching is - clutch in, shift into neutral, release clutch & rev, clutch back in and shift into gear.
thats only for down shifting a road ranger, no rev on up shift.

jamesmp

The Photo Journalist
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Members Ride
MY12 VE Commodore SS
Heel-Toe is a bit of a challenge in a Commo because the throttle and brake aren't level and if the brake pedal is depressed until they are level, the braking intensity is too much.

Rev matching is much easier - know where your clutch grips and give the throttle a squirt just before that point.

ozdash

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Series 1 Wagon

lein

Comrade Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC 202/4sp
I tend to not bother with the clutch when driving roadrangers, just have to get the rev matching right.

Big fan of double-clutching & heel-toeing in my Commodore though, old habit from driving cars with very ordinary gearboxes. That and it's fun.

Kieran263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon 6.0 A6
When I'm just cruising around for fun I'll double clutch, purely because I feel like I'm more involved.
Plus, if Vin Diesel says it's what I should be doing, I'll be doing it.