Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help blue lock tight

raptor666

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Does anybody know how to get of blue lock tight of a steering column spline?
(the spline that holds the sterring wheel on)
coz the nice people at the car dealership where you turn of the ring road to hoppers crossing heading towards geelong in there mechanics shop across the rd decided to use a bottle of it on my steering column to put it back on. some people should be shot or find a new occupation. anyway thats only one of the many problems these people gave me apart forom a f***en lemon of a car so far ive nearly fixed everything apart from the heater box and steering column any way thats another story.so if any bodys got any good ideas of fixing it apart from getting a new steering column please let me know desprate coz i cant get my front end allined properly

kalais6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
The majority of the Loctite range for nut and stud locking will still be able to be dismantled with the use of hand tools dude.
If thats not happening you may need one of their products that helps break the retaining comound down.

raptor666

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
The majority of the Loctite range for nut and stud locking will still be able to be dismantled with the use of hand tools dude.
If thats not happening you may need one of their products that helps break the retaining comound down.
yeah ive tried with four guys trying to wiggle the steering wheel off at once its on there pretty tight and ive tried 2 different types of steering wheel pullers and ive never herd of any thing that helps break lock tight down can you suggest a name or something for me because i browsed the web but couldnt find anything. The only thing ive heard of is applying alot of heat with a blow torch or some thing which really isnt practical for inside a car

tmaybz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ exec 05, VP exec. wagon
if u need 2 align the steering wheel in the straight ahead position,diconnect the column shaft at the steering rack end andset up there

raptor666

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
I was going to do that but got sick of the truck steering wheel and i have limited time to work on it to try and align the bottom spline but looks like i have to thanks anyways

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
Heat as you said before. And acetone seems to soften it but it takes for ever and doesn't break it down as such.

This was on screws that were left fully submerged in acetone for a couple of days. Once again it didn't break it down but made it soft. I also have a funny feeling it went hard again when it was left to dry out.

Also i stopped looking for stuff that brakes down lock tight and just buy bags of new screws instead. Fine for my application but not great for yours. Hope that helps you out a little bit.

P.s. Be careful with the acetone if you try it as it dissolves lots of stuff

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You shouldn't try to straighten the wheel by taking it off. Doing this will put the steering rack off centre and will affect your 'toe out on turns' ie: tyres will squeal when turning hard left or right. If it has been taken off previously you need to centralize the rack and get the tie rod ends even. Count the threads from the locknut to the tie rod end, they should be even both sides, next turn the wheel lock to lock counting the turns, halve this exactly, postion the wheel at this number, it should be straight. If it isn't then you will need to take it off. Any good wheel aligner knows how to to this, if it wasn't done then the aligner was dodgy or lazy.

The lock tight should come apart once it has move slightly, try hitting the wheel with the clenched fists, like banging on a table, on opposite sides hard and fast. That is, on a clock face, hit it at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Once you break the bond it should slide off.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Dude...it's loctite....not supermans semen. The reason you can't get it off isn't because of the loctite and nothing that the dealership did. Steering wheels are always difficult to remove on cars with any age...even with pullers.

The method I've always used and will continue to use is as such.

Remove the castle nut "holding" the wheel in place.

Now put it back on a couple of threads.

Get your knees behind the wheel trying to pu**** towards you.

Hit the castle nut with a hammer square on.

No, your not going to damage the threads unless you are pounding it with a sledge hammer. make sure the nut is on far enough to get a good grip but not on too far that you are actually striking the column and not the bolt.

xr388

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp wag
The splined section of the steering shaft is tapered slightly. I would try tapping the nut square on while applying mucho pressure to the wheel. It should break free with a few good hits but dont pound the **** out of it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i would try as mentioned above, undo the nut and wind off until it's just clear of the top ofthe shaft then using your knees to push the steering wheel up hit the nut etc. another method would be to use the biggest puller you can find, put lots of pressure on it(leaving the nut on the shaft again, cause if it does come loose it could go flying and hit you or something you don't wanna break). once you got lots off pressure on the puller tap(hit) the steering wheel hub up a few times, leave for a while andthen try tapping it again, wind a little more pressure on and tap again etc. hopefully the shock loading will break the loctite. the only other way to loosen loctite is to heat above 200degrees C from memory