Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 help chosing cam

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Look at camtech ct2248
230/233 @50 .579 lift. Maybe ask for it on a 108 lsa

I like the looks of this and it falls kinda within the OP specs. Still a cruiser cam, not hugely aggressive and should exceed 400hp without to much effort. A basic pocket port on the heads and set em up with some roller rockers and you're laughing.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I like the looks of this and it falls kinda within the OP specs. Still a cruiser cam, not hugely aggressive and should exceed 400hp without to much effort. A basic pocket port on the heads and set em up with some roller rockers and you're laughing.
I do like the idea of hyd roller. Should perform low end like equivalent hft but hold power more like a 10° or so bigger hft. Basically more air - in quicker, therefore 'power band' is over a larger rpm spread.

If i were to convert to hyd roller and add compression to my 355, I would probably go with the camtech.
OP could also use a bump in comp, but he could sort that while other work on heads is completed.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
the OP has flat top pistons, if he zero decks the block getting 10:1 CR will be easy enough with a small skim of the heads.

With the roller it's no so much the duration but the extra lift and the much faster ramps that give a good increase over hydro FT.

hdt166

Reaction score
Members Ride
vc hdt
some great feed back here , exactly what im after. Thanks heaps for all the replies.
crane has a 230 and 234 cam # 888251 .
some one mentioned crane #888261 but has 234 and 238 . probably a bit over the top for cruising?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
What transmission are you running?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
the OP has flat top pistons, if he zero decks the block getting 10:1 CR will be easy enough with a small skim of the heads.

With the roller it's no so much the duration but the extra lift and the much faster ramps that give a good increase over hydro FT.
My bad, I'm sure I read somewhere he was low 9's comp.

Yes, roller cam lobe is more like a square rolling hill, flat tappet is more like a mountain peak.
Roller opens faster, holds at full lift longer, and closes quicker. Therefore much greater airflow to the engine without having to hold the valve open for ages past optimum.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TK0 600 5SPEED MANUAL

Nice! will be fun with a 355 in front of it in a VC for sure. Do you know what the 5th gear OD ratio is?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you know your rpm @ 100km/h?

I'm guessing about 2100 rpm which should be ok with the cam we suggested. Cruise rpm to far under the cams torque curve will make it a pig to cruise and may surge.