Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help find a happy medium between performance and fuel econ.

Fritz_

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm trying to achieve a happy medium regarding the best performance possible while maintaining the best fuel economy I can get...

I drive a '00 VT series II wagon.

Of course I'd like my car to go as best as it can, but im a musician for a living and do ALOT of driving therefore I go through alot of petrol as it is. In the last week ive gone to Tamworth and then to Goulburn (I live in the blue mountains). My cars got 220k's on the clock.

Anyway......

Obvious ones to improve performance (slightly) while being nice with fuel ..

K&N air filter
Cold Air Intake....
haha Oh yeah, window tint so I hopefully dont use my air con as much hehehe

Anything else ?? while trying to keep good fuel econ in mind.. Thanks

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
Granpa driving, the best option.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Hey guys.

I'm trying to achieve a happy medium regarding the best performance possible while maintaining the best fuel economy I can get...

I drive a '00 VT series II wagon.

Of course I'd like my car to go as best as it can, but im a musician for a living and do ALOT of driving therefore I go through alot of petrol as it is. In the last week ive gone to Tamworth and then to Goulburn (I live in the blue mountains). My cars got 220k's on the clock.

Anyway......

Obvious ones to improve performance (slightly) while being nice with fuel ..

K&N air filter
Cold Air Intake....
haha Oh yeah, window tint so I hopefully dont use my air con as much hehehe

Anything else ?? while trying to keep good fuel econ in mind.. Thanks

Some people say a free flowing exhaust is good, but I doubt you'll ever see ~$300 in savings.

Don't bother with K&N filter, a new paper one is just as good plus you don't have to re oil it and clean your MAF when it gets clogged with oil (and hence giving screwed readings and poor economy).

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Some people say a free flowing exhaust is good, but I doubt you'll ever see ~$300 in savings.

Don't bother with K&N filter, a new paper one is just as good plus you don't have to re oil it and clean your MAF when it gets clogged with oil (and hence giving screwed readings and poor economy).

An exhaust is one of the better options. As for K & N i kind of agree, i only went K & N so i didnt have to buy a new filter all the time, as for the MAF, well i have a MAFLESS tune soooo :)

One of the BEST things you can do is have your car retuned, its amazing the difference it can make.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
One of the best ways to save fuel is to turn the aircon off when you don't need it, I get an extra 100km out of my falcon just by doing this

50LTRv8

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
replace your O2 sensors if they havent been replaced whilst u've had the car, which is most likely

muney

On Da West Side
Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ wagon
can anyone tell me where the o2 sensors are on the VT..are there 1 or 2..and are they easy to replace..would like to know as i have similiar klms to the OP

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
There are 2, one on each engine pipe just below the exhaust manifolds.

Fuel economy is directly related to your right foot. You can get roughly the same with no mods as with around town. On the highway is a different story, Extractors, 2 1/2" free flowing exhaust and a lean cruise tune will give you gr8 economy if you do mostly 80km/h + driving.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah, im interested in the effects of replacing the O2 Sensor...
How much are they? Is there much economy to be gained? My car has 120,000 on it...

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
Yeah, im interested in the effects of replacing the O2 Sensor...
How much are they? Is there much economy to be gained? My car has 120,000 on it...

There will be a noticeable difference if they are flogged. If they are the car will be running in open loop mode and it will set the air:fuel ratio to 14.7:1, to be on the safe side. If they have never been changed then its worth the $70-80 each and it only takes 5 mins to do.