Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help, foggies not working!

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I put my fog lights, the relay and the switch in my car last night, went to test them and nothing happened :bang: I didn't put the little globe in the instrument cluster because i was hoping there would be one in there but no light in the dash came on either. Surely that wouldn't be why the fog lights aren't working. Can anyone help? Would be much appreciated...

Lloyd1986

Reaction score
Website
www.lcimagery.com
Members Ride
VX II Supercharged S pack
Well behind the dash, in my car there were two wires taped up, both with identical plugs. One was for traction control and the other is for fog lights. Maybe you plugged the traction control loom into your fog light switch?

Another thing to remember, though you probably knew this, is that the fog lights only come on when your parkers or head lights are on. Hope this helps.

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Mine is only a series 1 hence no traction control. There was another connector in there but it was much smaller than the one for the fog lights. Not sure what its for???

Lloyd1986

Reaction score
Website
www.lcimagery.com
Members Ride
Hmm well if its different you shouldent need to worry about it. I cant really think of what else it might be, faulty switch perhaps? My car had the globe already installed in the dash and the dash light comes on even thought i don't have fog lights. I know my old Saab had a light in the dash, and if it blew the ignition wouldn't work. I doubt the commodore would be the same, but I don't know.

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Mate u were right, i pulled apart my dash again, searched high and low for this other wiring loom, was right down the back of the dash, put a globe in the instrument cluster put it all back together and she worked.

Thank u very much 4 ur help, very much appreciated! :bow:

Lloyd1986

Reaction score
Website
www.lcimagery.com
Members Ride
No worries, im glad it worked out for you. I had the same problem and advice from this forum helped me sort it out. The connectors are hard to see when they are all tucked away and tapped up like that.

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
They are and i'd neva had known so cheers :thumbsup:

karlos_1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
I'll be installing fog lights next week. I havent got the wiring there already. I've already installed the switch, and i have the relay and plugs for the lights to plug into. I was gona get my regular auto electrician to do it cos he sed itd only take about an hour and is easy, but i got no idea about electrics in the car. How hard is it to install the globe in the dash, cos i can see the spot there for it, but i know theres no globe in there otherwise it would light up in diagnostic mode. (where the needles go to 100km/h and 3000rpm and all other dash lights are lit up)

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
It is very easy buddy to put the globe in the instrument cluster. All u gotta do, provided u got the globe, is take the dash facsia off so u can access the cluster, undo the two screws holding in the instrument cluster pull it out a bit, reach around and unplug the wiring loom in the back of the cluster. Then u just put ur globe in (it just twists into place). If there isn't a globe in there already hold it up to a light source and u should be able to see where it goes

Lloyd1986

Reaction score
Website
www.lcimagery.com
Members Ride
I'll be installing fog lights next week. I havent got the wiring there already. I've already installed the switch, and i have the relay and plugs for the lights to plug into. I was gona get my regular auto electrician to do it cos he sed itd only take about an hour and is easy, but i got no idea about electrics in the car. How hard is it to install the globe in the dash, cos i can see the spot there for it, but i know theres no globe in there otherwise it would light up in diagnostic mode. (where the needles go to 100km/h and 3000rpm and all other dash lights are lit up)

Mine doesn't light up in diagnostic mode, but it was there as it lights up now I have put the switch in.