Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP HELP headlights suck

jacksien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Hey anyone know if replacing the original wiring for headlights with larger guage &/or installing 2 new relays for each light will increase light output. I have new headlights, blue 60/55 lamps, good earth, charge is perfect & alternator is as new. Light output is crap.
Can't find enough info on wiring upgrade, I have herd someone mention this along time ago. Can anyone help.

Ta
Scott

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

jacksien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Yeah thanks but have searched threads. Just wondering hopeing someone may have done this Or know someone who has.
Ta Scott

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I did it on my Golf a while back. It worked wonders, but you need to make sure the voltage is low (under 12volts) at the globes before doing the mod,or it's a lot of effort for no gain. Also check your reflective silver on the inside of the headlights hasn't had it.

http://www.matey-matey.com/tech_diag.shtml

This diagram is what I used to help me out. It should be ok for a commodore too if you disregard any reference to colour on the wires. The wiring that goes to the spotlights in the diagram will go to your inner headlight globes that come on only on high beam.

If you get stuck or need any help with the diagram, drop me a PM and i'll do my best to help out. Also I just realised we're not really meant to link to other automotive sites, but i'll PM admin to see if they will let the link stay as it could help. If not, just PM me and i'll email you the diagram.

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
I put in some blue 4000k headlights and they appeared dimmer, but mainly because the light was blueish rather than white, which changes the appearance of the beam.
Even though it looked dimmer, it was illuminating more, and further than white lights.
Another thing is make sure all your plugs and fittings are tight, my headlights were playing up and it was just the plug loose.

jacksien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Thanks will check voltage at lights also. Even with the bluish lights still not illuminating as much as most other cars.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
I think its all the reflective backing behind the lense causing most of the problems. Unfortunately the only way around it is a new one which im pretty sure you cant buy but im going to check will Holden first cause mine are so dull its dangerous driving at night without h/beams. Chrome paint is another option that could be experimented with.

I'm going to check that it is getting the correct voltage first, then new l/beam globes and if it isnt up to a decent standard either new reflective backings if they're available or completely new headlights.

jacksien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Mine are all good, they are basically new. Reflectors look perfect & glass clean as.
Maybe need to go to 90/100 lamps. But have been told these are too much for the reflector etc to handle. Is it true? or is it just wiring needs to be upgraded to handle the extra load?
Scott

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
about a month ago i had a problem wit my lights, i could barely drive in the night because i couldnt see anything infront of like about a couple metre's so i was driving on highbeams for 1 night and when i got to my mates place after a night out we decided to have a look and it turns out my lights wernt focused right, so look in a gregorys and look at how to re adjust your lights, because mine were facing towards the road to much.... but dont go to high because you'll blind oncomin traffic hahaha.... anyways and if that doesnt work, i can only suggest what people have already said:D good luck with it m8:D:D:D

I think its all the reflective backing behind the lense causing most of the problems. Unfortunately the only way around it is a new one which im pretty sure you cant buy but im going to check will Holden first cause mine are so dull its dangerous driving at night without h/beams. Chrome paint is another option that could be experimented with.

i guess it cant hurt can it? if what everyone has said already fails :D:D:D might aswell experiment because his going to be spending money anyway haha:D

jacksien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
I have just on 12 volts at lights, So upgrade wiring is the go, I think? All else checks out etc