Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help! Identifying Group 1, 2 and 3

engers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS, VF SSV REDLINE SII
hi everyone,
im rebuilding my '82 vh ss and i need to know how i can identify if it is group 1, 2 or 3. it was built in august 1982.
can anyone help please!?
thanks,
sam

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
id plates and engine code number is a big clue
Not at all. All are the same if HDT version or Holden.

What you need is either the last 6 numbers off the thin tag or body number off the ID plate, i can look it up in the Brock bible.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

What you need is either the last 6 numbers off the thin tag or body number off the ID plate, i can look it up in the Brock bible.

Now that would be a nice thing to own...The brock bible... :)

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
id plates and engine code number is a big clue

The Last 6 numbers your referring to is the info on the HDT paperwork @ Example below.
Vehicle Description - VH SS Group 123
Build No – 1005 (150/500)
Tag No – 999991M
Chassis No – BVH888881M
Vin – J999991M
Dealer – Dixon Holden
Colour – Maranello Red
Engine No – VT012345
Date in HDT – 18/09/81
Date out HDT – 7/10/81

Those 3 HDT tag, chassis, and vin numbers are the 6 numbers found on the original car id plates and stamped chassis number on upper radiator bar. The engine code number and block manufacturer cast number would at least match correct engine to the build period of car
Chances are the brock bible ended up with him in the big wreckers yard in the sky :)

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
See the thing is, no VH SS Group 1 2 or 3 had Build tags on it, you would never know what HDT build it is unless the 6 digit PSN or body number. The ones that have the HDT build tag is retro fitted.

Blocks are cast many months before car is built too.

And i have two copies of the Brock Bible with Brock HDT build numbers in them.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
See the thing is, no VH SS Group 1 2 or 3 had Build tags on it, you would never know what HDT build it is unless the 6 digit PSN or body number. The ones that have the HDT build tag is retro fitted.
Blocks are cast many months before car is built too.
And i have two copies of the Brock Bible with Brock HDT build numbers in them.
If this was a reply to my last post, I wasn’t talking about HDT or Improved plates, was talking about 6 numbers on factory Vehicle Identification Number Plate and the Body and Options Identification Plate which would be on the HDT paperwork that would have the Build Number and the modifications listed added to the vehicle, wow wonder if people kept the generic brock letter.

Obviously blocks are manufactured before car is built, the block cast date would give you an idea of close match to build timing. Obviously a 1981 VH SS Group 1 car with an engine number starting with VJ or QR is not going to be a factory correct matching numbers car with those engine codes and cast dates.

Lucky/Greedy you having 2 bibles, you should share.
Okay what info does your 2 bibles have for Body number 107024-A. I wanna check the HDT Build Number

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Lucky/Greedy you having 2 bibles, you should share.
Okay what info does your 2 bibles have for Body number 107024-A. I wanna check the HDT Build Number

HDT Build number 989, sold by Greg Maurice Holden. Out of HDT on the 8th Oct 1983