Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP - Key Battery going dead? / Vibrations?

Bob129

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
G'day all, i dont acutally have a vs yet, im in the process though, ive been checkin alot out lately. One of the ones i looked at was a 96 Seriess II Exec, and when the guy started the key, the engine warning light came on (the yellow/orangey one with the picture of the engine and a '!' in it). The guy explained to us that it was because the battery in the key was going flat and that caused a "security issue" within the cars computer and so it made the engine light come on as some kind of warning. Does anyone know if there is any truth in this? or is the car just buggered?

Another car i looked at, one at a car yard was like a 95 or 96 vs equipe, the thing is that when i pulled out the front ash tray in the centre console, underneath it where wires, which were taped and had bits of rag wrapped around them. I know they dont come stock like this, but i was wondering if these wires are prone to vibrate or be noisy somehow and the rag was wrapped around them to reduce this vibration? I think the wires where for the electric windows?
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers fellas.
Rob

Last edited:
C

clinker1212

I think that you have a problem if the engine light stays on. In any case a diagnostic is easy to do if the sales person lets you.

From experience with my VS 95 Series 1 I would check for any stuff that has been replaced. After I bought my VS at 130,000km between 140k and 150 k I have replaced: Water Pump, Alternator, Power steering Pump, Rack and Pinion (Spelling?), Ball Joints, Fuel Pump... and thats all I can remember.

Not sure if many other people have had these problems though I am pretty sure these are wear and tear items. Though at 180k some of these may have been replaced already...

As for the rags and stuff in the equipe, if it doesn't look like the manufacturers did it I would be sus cause someone has been tinkering with it.

One main thing I would be trying to find out is the history of the car. Probably easier to do in private sales though (unfortunately no warranty).

Good luck with it though

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Bob129 - my advice is to get whatever vehicle you want to buy checked out by your local RACQ or NRMA or someone you know who is not afraid to tell you that the car is no good. There is a sucker born every day and plenty of sellers both in the industry and private waiting for that person. But most people will not rip you off. The very fact that you are asking questions at this forum shows that you are no fool and do not want to be ripped off. Good cars are out there...they are sometimes hard to find but they do exist.

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
b/s

The tape under the ashtray isn't the old faithful plastic electrical tape, its a cloth type so it may not be rag

The battery being dead in the key shouldn't give any warning except that the remote will not work.

A car salesman is not your friend, remember most are like sharks looking for someone to bit and the are indiscriminate, and thats from a lawyer. :bop:

V

vs_family_wagon

the guy is right!

Yes the battery in the remote is going flat and thats all it is!! You need a new remote which will cost around $80 which includes it being re-programmed. To avoid this light appearing simply press the unlock key before starting they car. The light only comes on when you press the unlock key once you've already turned the key to the 'on' position. Trust me its happened to my car.

Basically they battery slowly dies. You are still able to unlock doors via remote but remote is not able to directly pass its code across to ignition barrel, therefore you have to press unlock. A new remote and all is solved!!!

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
The key going flat will not cause the engine light.
Rob

matt2950

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VN CALAIS 5.0
Definately does cause the engine light to come on but only in the period of the doors being opened (via remote) and then it goes out again once car is started.. had a couple do it to me.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Oh im sorry my 20 + years experience must be wrong...
The engine light should come on when the ignition is on & engine not running.
when the engine is started the light should go off, if it stays on there is a DTC logged.
Think about it like this:
if the battery is going flat why then would it work via RF and not in passive read mode through the sliprings?
please dont think im being unreasonable about this but im right and you unfortunately are wrong
Rob

VICNZ

Reaction score
Bob129 said:
G'day all, i dont acutally have a vs yet, im in the process though, ive been checkin alot out lately. One of the ones i looked at was a 96 Seriess II Exec, and when the guy started the key, the engine warning light came on (the yellow/orangey one with the picture of the engine and a '!' in it). The guy explained to us that it was because the battery in the key was going flat and that caused a "security issue" within the cars computer and so it made the engine light come on as some kind of warning. Does anyone know if there is any truth in this? or is the car just buggered?

Another car i looked at, one at a car yard was like a 95 or 96 vs equipe, the thing is that when i pulled out the front ash tray in the centre console, underneath it where wires, which were taped and had bits of rag wrapped around them. I know they dont come stock like this, but i was wondering if these wires are prone to vibrate or be noisy somehow and the rag was wrapped around them to reduce this vibration? I think the wires where for the electric windows?
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers fellas.
Rob
I'm having same problem, gettin new remote this week will let you know if it has fixed the engine light appearing.

drift-it

Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 Px ranger 4x4
my remote doesnt unlock my vt however it starts fine and no warning lights come on...would the battery be flat but still have enough charged to transfer codes and start my car but be to flat to unlock doors and boot...

actually now that i think about it i had my windscreen replaced the day it stopped working...would they have disrupted something by replacing the window?