Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help me choose VE Shocks and Springs Package for Practicality and Comfort!

jaime85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS
Hi guys, I have recently purchased a used 09 Omega Sportswagon for my wife.it was ex lease and has 130,000kms on it.very well serviced and drives quite nicely. The only issue we have found with it is that the ride quality and Comfort could be improved upon compared to some of the other cars we have driven, so I am considering replacing the springs and shocks. Since it is at 130,000kms they must be on their way out anyway?

The main things we are after is good comfort and ride quality.I don't want to lower it if it is not necessary.

So I am wondering guys can you recommend the best current package available for comfort and Practicality? Hoping to get best bang for buck return without spending say more than $600-$800 if possible.

Any other suggestions to improve the ride quality would also be appreciated. Cheers guys.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
good quality shocks fitted will eat up your $6-800 without lowering it, maybe koni, sachs, bilstein (not cheap) but if you want improvement gas shocks are a must, standard sports munroe will be okay without breaking the bank,

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Maloo UTE Walkinshaw 557
I have heard that Pedders shocks are more on the comfort side than flat out sports performance.
I doubt the springs would be shagged unless the car is sagging , maybe shocks only.
But is this more for your driving pleasure or hers.......... LOL

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
So I am wondering guys can you recommend the best current package available for comfort and Practicality? Hoping to get best bang for buck return without spending say more than $600-$800 if possible.

Any other suggestions to improve the ride quality would also be appreciated. Cheers guys.

IF you start fitting a stiffer spring or stiffer shocks and struts (or both ) your ride quality will be affected compared with a new stock set up.

The stock springs should still be fine as is unless there is evidence of sagging so there should be no need to replace them. Bilstein will most likely give you the best overall top performance and comfort compromise in replacement front strut inserts and rear dampers but these will run you into much more than the 800 or so you want to spend.

Also bear in mind that tyres can also affect ride quality and if you have a crappy set of tyres on the car that will be a factor in both handling, grip and comfort.

I would phone up the guys at GSL rallysport in Brisbane (forum sponsor) and explain to them exactly what you are looking for and they will offer you some options and prices on rear shocks and front struts and deliver them to you in Sydney within a couple of days when in stock. These are very good people to deal with personally and won't recommend something to you that is not suitable to your requirements. But phone them up rather than emailing them and explain to them exactly what you want.

- GSL RallySport - Ph: 1300 724 943 (and 1300 884 836 )-

GSL RallySport

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
The standard setup in the Omega (FE1) gives a beautiful ride when everything is new. I would replace the shocks with something as close to standard as possible. Hopefully that will be all that is required.

Craterface

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 HSV GTS
Replace the shocks with Monroe GT Gas and use original springs. If you want to lower it which won't be as comfortable you will need short-stroke shocks such as Monroe GT Sports, you can buy these with Kings lowered springs as a package for about $600-$800 check ebay.

dabons

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1
I have a 2006 Omega and just recently as of 3 days ago had KYB shocks fitted front and back. I got a quote from Pedders which was $1500 which was for Pedders shocks and the two top strut mount bushes. I also got a quote from Midas which was $1020 for KYB shocks and the two strut mount bushes and a wheel alignment. I rang Pedders to find out if the quote involved new springs and was told no so you can guess who I went with.

After picking my car up from Midas after the job was done I found the ride perfect. Even went to the local KMART to give it a going over on the speed humps throughout the carpark. Very happy with it.

Sorry if mentioning names on the forum is not allowed.

jaime85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS
Cheers for that guys, maybe I will look into replacing just the shocks as per dabons experience.

dabons

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1
If you don't need your top strut mount bushes done at the same time it would be cheaper of course.

Btw I am not saying what I had fitted was the best or would suit your needs but for me my car was floating all over the road and definitely loose in the rear before the shocks were done and now it is a lot smoother on the road and have had no speed hump slow me down.

It is up to you how much you want to spend and what shocks would suit your needs.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Cheers for that guys, maybe I will look into replacing just the shocks as per dabons experience.

I'm a cheaparse, similar to you I was at 125000kms

I bout new shocks of ebay from here

VE Standard Shock Absorber Pair Suspension Holden Commodore Shocker 92219903 | eBay

got my 2 struts and shocks for under $100 delivered and installed myself, needed new strut tops(installed rubber pedders ones) and wheel alignment so still added up to $250 all up but car drives like new