Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP, my AUTO VT is Stalling!!

L

Liddz

Hiya everyone,

Im new here and really need your help!

I have a 1999 Auto VT Equipe Stationwagon. over the last month it has taken to stalling, first time when i was reversing, i thought nothing of it, then it happened again, Mechanics cant find anything, they dont seem to believe me! (no mechanic seems to believe a chick! :ranting: ) then it happened the other day when i had just put it into drive after reversing???

I ask how can anyone stall an Auto?? hehe im possibly leaning towards the idle speed? what should it be at? its currently at about 5-600 rev's when idle.

Has anyone else had this prob, if so does anyone know where to take it to get it sorted? im in Victoria btw.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Lyndsey :wave:

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
If its a V6, then that sounds like a faulty Crank Angle Sensor. It can cause stalling when it wears out.

Does it seem to wanna stall when you're idling and turn the steering wheel lock to lock?

VTs are at about the right age for the CAS to die.

L

Liddz

If its a V6, then that sounds like a faulty Crank Angle Sensor. It can cause stalling when it wears out.

***Yup your right it's a V6

Does it seem to wanna stall when you're idling and turn the steering wheel lock to lock?

*** You've hit the nail on the head thats exactly what it does, kinda scary and embarassing really!!

VTs are at about the right age for the CAS to die.

*** so where to from here then?, if it is the CAS is it expensive to fix? and does anyone know of anywhere in Melbourne i can take it to get it checked out???

Lyndsey

Redfox

Reaction score
Hi Lyndsey, I have had a few stalls in the past similar to yours, so I do understand that you can stall your auto. 700 is about right for idle speed. 500-600 might be a tad low. Have you had a holden dealership plug in a Tech2 to figure out if the computer has logged any errors? If it's a computer error, you can do a PCM reset and it should fix it up.

Also, what was the weather like when it happened? Last time it happened to me, the weather was filthy hot and for some reason it was like the car went into limp home mode because it didn't like the heat or something.

Maybe get them to check that your fuel pressure is good. If you have a faulty fuel pump, it's possibly going to cause symptoms similar to what you have. Also you want to make sure that your DFI system is not faulty. This controls the spark ignition.

Good luck, and I hope you find the problem soon!

Redfox

Reaction score
Yeah the crank angle sensor is another good point. Apparently you can pour some water over the back of the harmonic balancer where the CAS is and it should get it working again temporarily. This might help to pinpoint whether it really is the problem.

Secki

Reaction score
Website
www.australianlawenforcement.com.au
Members Ride
VH Wagon SLX 253
when mine died, nrma let it sit for 15 mins, poured some water on it and it started again. that will get you home but it will only keep doing it! they abour $90 for the part, another $50 to get someone to put it in

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
Liddz said:
so where to from here then?, if it is the CAS is it expensive to fix? and does anyone know of anywhere in Melbourne i can take it to get it checked out???

Most mechanics around Melbourne should be able to help you. Up to VZ the CAS is still in the same position they've been in since VN.

Shouldn't be that expensive.

Tried to change one in a VR once and broke my "unbreakable" Sidchrome socket wrench. Ended up taking the car to a mechanic who had a 6 foot breaker bar especially for this purpose.

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
I had the same problem in my VR. It turned out that the Idle control motor was on its way out.

Basically its function is to put the revs up a little bit when changing from the different gears (well driving gears like P and R).. You will notice that if you change from Drive or Reverse to neutral it doesn't happen..

In the end mr VR was stalling as i pulled up at lights because the motor is supposed to maintain the revs slightly as the auto changes back to first.

If your putting into a mechanic just get them to give the motor a clean as it sits in your throttle body and gets a bit gunked up.. this should help.

I know I went crazy and spent alot of $$ with mechanics trying to fix the problem. :bang:

L

Liddz

Slick6 said:
If your putting into a mechanic just get them to give the motor a clean as it sits in your throttle body and gets a bit gunked up.. this should help.

I know I went crazy and spent alot of $$ with mechanics trying to fix the problem. :bang:

The Throttle Body was the first thing i cleaned out, and the car has run no better since.

I have decided to replace the CAS, also my belt and pulley's (as they are a bit squeeky and worn - plus some one has told me that the stalling could also be the belt slipping as its changing gears - any comments on that one???)

I'm getting a genuine holden CAS from Autobarn for $75, belt and pulleys are about $60 and i have been quoted about $90 for labour. So all in all not that expensive (was considering doing it myself, but figured as i was replacing the belt and pulley's too may as well leave it to the experts!!!!)

Well i will let you all know how i go, this is all being done next week. and thanks everyone for thier comments/suggestions :D

Lyndsey :p

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
I hope the CAS fixes it, I know i just wanted to sell my baby after the trouble it gave me ( I did in the end and got a VT)

I cleaned my throttly body out initially, however the IAC motor needs to be removed to be cleaned, as a normal clean doesn't touch the IAC..

Just a thought as my CAS was replaced 6 months prior to my problems (did a harmonic balancer which damagd the CAS when it shredded).