Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help needed! 98 5.0ltr VT SS running issue

johnpage75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Hi guys, I've got a major pain in the butt issue with my 98 VT SS 5ltr Manual. She got stolen a few years ago and recovered with a new steering column and key from the grubs that took her. Fortunately the original parts were still in the boot so I've put them all back in. the original key works again for central locking and such so it should just fire up right? No....I've been through every bloody thing I can think of. She fires and runs for about two to three seconds. I've replaced fuel pump, throttle position censor, computer, ignition control module, replaced all injector seals and fuel lines, It had a new Maff censor installed just before getting knocked off and the bastard still won't run longer than a few seconds.....any ideas? I'm desperate as it needs to be moved out a storage facility asap. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
Hi guys, I've got a major pain in the butt issue with my 98 VT SS 5ltr Manual. She got stolen a few years ago and recovered with a new steering column and key from the grubs that took her. Fortunately the original parts were still in the boot so I've put them all back in. the original key works again for central locking and such so it should just fire up right? No....I've been through every bloody thing I can think of. She fires and runs for about two to three seconds. I've replaced fuel pump, throttle position censor, computer, ignition control module, replaced all injector seals and fuel lines, It had a new Maff censor installed just before getting knocked off and the bastard still won't run longer than a few seconds.....any ideas? I'm desperate as it needs to be moved out a storage facility asap. any help would be greatly appreciated!
It honestly sounds like a security issue between PCM and BCM. Did they take or damage the key reader ring at the ignition?. I'd be checking for codes but I think you may need to take or get an auto electrician to link pcm to bcm with your original key.

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
does it have your original ecu in it

johnpage75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
It honestly sounds like a security issue between PCM and BCM. Did they take or damage the key reader ring at the ignition?. I'd be checking for codes but I think you may need to take or get an auto electrician to link pcm to bcm with your

johnpage75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
does it have your original ecu in it
Hi, Thanks for the reply! I did change out the ecu, as the same issue was happening with the original but, yes the original steering column and bcm were in the boot when I got it back. The police kept the key that the grub used so I had to reinstall all the old stuff to it in the holding yard. I put our scan tool on it but it doesn’t recognise the old girl. I’ll go old school with test light and see what comes up. Honestly doing my head in! Give me points and a carby any day!

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
So from the sounds of it you will need a proper scan tool like a tech2 to re-link the pcm to the bcm and key fob too. Get a mobile auto electrician to come out to sort it for you. Shouldn't cost too much. It's a security issue.

johnpage75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
So from the sounds of it you will need a proper scan tool like a tech2 to re-link the pcm to the bcm and key fob too. Get a mobile auto electrician to come out to sort it for you. Shouldn't cost too much. It's a security issue.
Thanks mate I’ll give that a go. Cheers

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Did you know with bit of speaker wire or thin split pin you can check codes...look it up on forum &/or youtube....same for fault codes.