Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help needed ASAP no brake lights

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Hi everyone. So the other day I hooked up a trailer to my WH for the first time and the brake fault warning light came on ( I didn't know it was the brake warning light at the time) I just thought that light might have come on when a trailer is hooked up. Anyway I did what I had to do and disconnected the trailer but the brake fault light stayed on. I checked all fuses no worried there, checked all globes including rear windscreen and found that the left brake light was gone so replaced that but still have no brake lights. Checked fluid level as well and that is good.

Any advice on what it could be would be much appreciated. Cheers

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Check the operation of the brake switch, it is above the brake pedal and difficult to access. You will see two switches up there but the lower one is the one you want.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Ok I'll check that now! How will I know if its faulty etc?

Using a multimeter to check resistance (ohms), put the two probes on the two terminals (disconnect the wires to the switch first) and see if the reading changes when you push the switch in and out. If there is no change the switch is faulty or just needs a clean internally. Sometimes pushing the button on the switch in and letting it flick out a few times can get it working again. By letting it flick out I mean, push the button in with your finger and then move your finger sideways allowing the button to flick back out..

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
You will probably have to remove it and check it with a multi meter.
Is the trailer plug/wiring on your car factory (OEM) or after market. Did you have to use an adaptor plug? 5 pin to 7 pin, flat plug to round plug etc.?

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Ok well I had a quick look for it before but might have to pull the plastic covers off etc. I don't have a multimeter handy so may just have to let it flick in and out. How big is the switch? I'm not sure if its factory but I didn't use an adaptor it was just a round plug that was in the boot! Would a non factory one have an effect?

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
I would try another brake light fuse even if it looks ok. I have had fuses that look ok but are blown when checked with a multimeter. The trailer probably had a short in the wiring that blew your fuse.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
May be fuse number 5 Stop lamps in the fuse box under the dash.

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
I found the switch and it wasn't screwed all the way into its holder so I took it out and pressed it in and out a few times then put it back in its holder all the way so the button was pressed right it but the light is still on. I didn't have a multimeter to test it. How expensive are they? I might just buy another to be sure