Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help Needed - Ecotec Coolant

WyldOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wagon
Hey all,

Now before you tell me, yes I have searched all over the internet, but haven't found anything helpful unfortunately.

My coolant needs replacing in my 97' 3.8L Ecotec VT wagon, but I'm a little unsure of what coolant I need, how to flush the radiator and what sort of chemical flush.

I want to know what coolant everyone uses in their Ecotecs, how they flush their cooling system and what brand of chemical flush they use.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
Hey all,

Now before you tell me, yes I have searched all over the internet, but haven't found anything helpful unfortunately.

My coolant needs replacing in my 97' 3.8L Ecotec VT wagon, but I'm a little unsure of what coolant I need, how to flush the radiator and what sort of chemical flush.

I want to know what coolant everyone uses in their Ecotecs, how they flush their cooling system and what brand of chemical flush they use.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
I also need advice on this?
What i do to flush coolent undo your bottom radiator hose....Run the hose into the top of your radiator until water turns clear...
And i use 50/50 mix...
This is just what i do don't know if it correct??

aazn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX lumina
i wouldnt use a rad. flush,

drop the bottom rad. hose, and let all the water out... put your hose into the top of the radiator and put your heater on full (full speed and full heat) keep letting the water flow untill the water is clear...
replace hose.

i use coolant concentrate (the green stuff), pretty much any brand will do... use one that says "makes up to 10L", pour it into the radiator (all of it) and fill up with water...
let it run for a while (leave heater on) (thermostat will open up), and when the water drops keep topping it up. when it wont take anymore... pull the throttle cable and the coolant will drop by 50-100ml, quickly fill it up while holding the throttle and replace the cap.

then pour about 1L of water into the overflow.

hope that helps

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
i wouldnt use a rad. flush,

drop the bottom rad. hose, and let all the water out... put your hose into the top of the radiator and put your heater on full (full speed and full heat) keep letting the water flow untill the water is clear...
replace hose.

i use coolant concentrate (the green stuff), pretty much any brand will do... use one that says "makes up to 10L", pour it into the radiator (all of it) and fill up with water...
let it run for a while (leave heater on) (thermostat will open up), and when the water drops keep topping it up. when it wont take anymore... pull the throttle cable and the coolant will drop by 50-100ml, quickly fill it up while holding the throttle and replace the cap.

then pour about 1L of water into the overflow.

hope that helps
That explains it very well this is exzatly what i do

aazn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX lumina
just reread what i wrote and i used the word "hose" too many times.... you should be able to work it out.. hose and tap hose..

and i forgot to mention "remove the radiator cap" ahh you should be able to work it out.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
you need a 50/50 mix and I think the cooling system has a 12 litre capacity so you need 6 litres of concentrate and you need to bleed the air out of the system while filling it there is no need to start the motor if you bleed it properly.
The hardest part is getting 6 litres or more out of the system before you add the concentrate.

Last edited:

aazn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX lumina
12? i only got about 8L in mine..

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
If you don't remove the 'knock sensors', one in each bank, less than half the 12 liters of coolant will drain when only the bottom radiator hose is removed!

ss350chev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMY
I take the radiator to a radiator shop and get them to flush it out as they pull the thing apart and they run a rod thru all the banks making sure they are unblocked and clean and solder the radiator back together.
Coolant make sure they are for a alloy head.Remember what you pay is what you get.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I take the radiator to a radiator shop and get them to flush it out as they pull the thing apart and they run a rod thru all the banks making sure they are unblocked and clean and solder the radiator back together.
Coolant make sure they are for a alloy head.Remember what you pay is what you get.

The VT V6 radiators are aluminium with plastic tanks so can't be soldered, if there that blocked ther einexpensive to replace with a new one. Engine is also cast iron not alloy. Best coolant is Nulon Long life Green.