Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help petrol leak!!

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
I have a petrol leak coming from the top front drivers side of the petrol tank it can be spotted from behind the drivers side wheel.

its not dripping just making the front of the tank look darker than the rest.

i highly doubt that the tank itself is leaking but more likley a hose some where.

are there any common pipes that leak around that area and whats involved in fixing this myself

cheers
Adam

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Check if your fuel sender gasket is wet or damp around the edges, if so then you have found your culprit. If not then clean the stain off the tank with a bit of turps or metho and watch it carefully over a few days/weeks to see if you can pinpoint it.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Yeah, the best idea is probably to clean it all up really nicely, then see if you can spot where it's coming from over the next week or so.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
its definatley not the fuel sender gasket but ill do what you said to try and pinpoint the leak

nopatcla

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive wagon
Had the same problem, turned out to be the 2 surge/overflow hoses which run from the filler neck down to the tank were broken, easy enough job to replace, but you need to drop the tank to get at them.

lazza44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2 Berlina Wagon
I also had to replace those 2 hoses. Mine use to leak a fair bit when I filled the tank.

kirkson

Captain
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr v6 exec duel fuel
if it is the surge hoses, you do not need to drop the tank, jack up the car rear right side remopve the wheel and inside the wheel arch you will se an inspection plate remove it and you will see all of the hoses etc, you can change theese hoses from hear.
regards Kirk

astrogen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
Sorry to bring this thread up again.
Mine leaked from this area several weeks ago and brother and I checked all hoses and they just crumpled in your hand...replaced most of them but the 2 hoses that go into the tank can't be unplugged and this is where the tank has to be dropped to be able to replace these 2 hoses.
Any idea of costs for this?

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
yup... tank needs to be dropped to replace the two hoses on top of the tank... on the VS its a bitch to plug the pipe back in ... ive droppped the tank out twice now....

its at least a hrs work for a workshop if they know what there doin...

do it urself in 2... 4 bolts and a few hoses and shes out...

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
Apparently on the VN it was a common problem for the fuel tank to corrode around where the pump is.
I know of 2 that have had to be repaired or replaced because of this.