Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help please - Fixing a broken horn (for a noob)

stovepipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Hey guys,
My horn is broken and I'm after some help to work out how to fix it myself instead of paying a shop $200 or so to do what might be a simple job. I dont know anything about fixing cars but I'd like to.

Here's the story: One day I hit it while in traffic and it got stuck on. I had to hit it a few more times before it stopped. A couple days later it stopped working all together. The office next door said that during the day in the carpark it just went on by itself and blew for about 15mins before stopping. So now it doesn't work.

I've tried some searching, read about potential problems to check like the fuse, relay, clock spring etc.. I just need to know how to check them. I know where the fuse is, but don't know how to "check" it, or even take it out. Likewise I don't know exactly how to check the horn for power, etc.

So if anyone is a legend and can help me out and tell me exactly how to do these things thatd be great.

cheers

D

devilly

i'll start at the easiest for you,i use small point noise pliers to remove fuses or sometimes a very small flat head screw.

sounds to me like the backing plate for the horn is bent,and then when left on for a while it blew the fuse.

i would first check fuse if its a blown fuse but not replace it until you check out the back plate.sometimes you can bend them back into shape,or you may need a replacement one.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
fit a new fuse is best ........... a blown fuse to check is a visual thing

horn system has a relay

if you need to go into the job further to fix the horn

should be some write ups --gets more involved

stovepipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
fit a new fuse is best ........... a blown fuse to check is a visual thing

horn system has a relay

if you need to go into the job further to fix the horn

should be some write ups --gets more involved
cheers for the start guys.

jees I hope its not a bent plate.

OK lets start with the fuse then. What i thought was the fuse was the relay. This thing:
1wSKRIW.png

(it's a VU SS btw))

the fuse is somewhere under the steering wheel then yeah? which one is the horn's, and if it's blown the little metal bit inside will be visibly broken right? like i said, i am really new to playing with anything like this but keen to learn

thanks

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Hey bud, thats a relay yes. just switch it with another next to it to test.
judging by what you have described it sounds more like an issue with the actual horn pad itself.
To test, remove the horn pad (done by removing the 2 torx bolts on the back of the steering wheel, you will need hollow torx bits for these.)
you will find a single black wire which should have a spade terminal attaching it to the horn pad.
remove this terminal and touch it against the steering wheel (metal)
if it beeps you need to replace the horn pad.
NOTE: remove the SIR (airbag) fuse under the dash first before removing the horn pad

It is possible that the horn relay stuck on the first time then completely failed afterwards.

stovepipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Update:
I havent actually got around to any of the advice above (yep Ive been going hornless, it's the worst) yet.

I was however changing a relay for my flasher and saw that my horn fuse was blown. I replaced it with a new 15A fuse and then pressed the horn. As soon as I pressed it the fuse blew without the horn making a sound. Does this suggest anything to anyone?
cheers

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It could be that the actual horn has shorted out. You can connect 12 volts to the terminal on the horn, positive to the terminal and negative to the horn body. If there is no sound the horn is cactus.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International

Lol, they r both good options...even if the horn is functioning properly (wouldnt want to get a fine for improper use of a warning device would we)

Sounds like your actual horn has called it quits. Probably creating an open circuit which is blowing the fuse. Just grab a new horn from ur local auto parts store- or even the wreckers. Theyre normally only held on with 1-2 screws so theyre a pretty universal fit

stovepipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Ok cool. Next question, where is the horn in a VU and how accessible is it? Is it like a VT somewhere behind the bumper on the drivers side? If so, I'm probably gonna need stands or something so I can get under right?
Also, i dont have a 12V battery handy. Any other tricks to see if the horn is working? I saw in another thread someone said disconnect the horn, press the button, see if the fuse blows. Is that plausible?
cheers