Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help please - Fixing a broken horn (for a noob)

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You have a 12 volt battery handy in the engine bay. Stick your head under the front bumper on the drivers side and you should see the horn. If not, it's on the other side.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Also, i dont have a 12V battery handy.

if what ur actually saying is, that ur car doesnt currently have a battery in it....then that is probably why ur horn isnt working lol

orsm6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx2 5.7 Calais.
I would also end up checking your clock spring (behind steering wheel) if nothing else works. My radio controls on steering wheel died, turned out to be my clock spring. it controls the air bag, radio controls and horn.... bought a second hand one on eBay for $50

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
If you've punched the steering wheel and then the horn came on and stayed on, it would stand to reason that you've either broken the horn pad/airbag or the clock spring.

stovepipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
if what ur actually saying is, that ur car doesnt currently have a battery in it....then that is probably why ur horn isnt working lol
yep thats a valid point!

If you've punched the steering wheel and then the horn came on and stayed on, it would stand to reason that you've either broken the horn pad/airbag or the clock spring.
I punched the steering wheel and it stayed on for a few seconds, then a few days later randomly stuck itself on until death 15mins later while parked in the middle of the day. I really hope I dont have to take apart the steering wheel because I just know I'll explode the airbag and or not be able to get it back together. :bang:

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Yep damaged clock spring then. Disconnect the battery and u will be fine. I dare say u have killed the actual horn itself aswel

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
yep thats a valid point!

I punched the steering wheel and it stayed on for a few seconds, then a few days later randomly stuck itself on until death 15mins later while parked in the middle of the day. I really hope I dont have to take apart the steering wheel because I just know I'll explode the airbag and or not be able to get it back together. :bang:

won't blow up if the battery is disconnected and just to be safe turn the headlight switch on will drain any power that might possibly be still lingering if your that worried about it (to be honest i took it apart laying underneath it the first time i ever did mine just in case it went boom :p)

Its 4 star torque screws holding the airbag in and the clock spring is behind it, simple enough to do and buy new ones off ebay.

if you really want you can swap it out for a VY steering wheel and airbag while its all apart too :p