Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help! Rounded Bolt

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VZ SV6 Commodore 5 Speed AUTO 3.6L
I was trying to service my self car 2 days ago tried getting it off with a 13mm socket wrench and saw that the bolt from the oil sump pan was rounding it isn't compleatly rounded but I don't want to do it any further. the breaker bar didn't have enough leverage and I have no idea on how to take it off any further. I called a mate and I asked if I could use an impact gun to take it off but he said its no use I just want to be able to take it off so I can go buy a new sump plug

keybored68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Alloytec
You can buy special sockets for rounded bolts...they have extra edges that grip on. I've used them, they work great.
Otherwise use a grinder and make 2 flat edges on the bolt, then use a wrench.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
And don’t forget to buy a new sump plug before you take off the damaged one.
For the life of me I can’t understand how people can do this for such a simple task as taking it out to change the oil a couple of times a year.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
For the life of me I can’t understand how people can do this for such a simple task as taking it out to change the oil a couple of times a year.

You mean, tighten it up, do something silly and then think you'll remember for next time.

Other option, get out a few files or similar to make the sides on it again. or a set of vicegrips.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Because people are afraid that sump plugs will magically loosen and fall out once they’re tightened, so they tighten them way too much and either round the head or stretch the sump threads.

Same with oil filters, wheel nuts and any other threaded fastener exposed to the average DIYer.

BIG_JV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Buy a set of 6 point sockets and you will have a lot more success with tight bolts like this. Either kinkrome Lok on or better yet some Japanese Koken. What sockets have you got?

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
I 100% plan to do that

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Buy a set of 6 point sockets and you will have a lot more success with tight bolts like this. Either kinkrome Lok on or better yet some Japanese Koken. What sockets have you got?
Just some cheap'o kmart sockets and some wrenches and stuff from total tools