Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help!! Terrible rattling!

S

Smilin

Just checked the dipstick, no metal fragments... but the car does sound like its eating its self :p
Eitherway, getting a new engine within the next week.
Thanks tho :)

V

VSAccCom

no worries but before u get a new engine just get em to check the oil pickup coz guys have said that thier pickup gets blocked and it makes the same sound n ****, also i think if ur bottom end was on its way out, it would do wat mine did, run for about 5 min or so they engine light and oil light come on and it dies

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
It may well be faster and cheaper to buy a s/h engine, and just bolt it in, add the usual BS and your away in less than a day.

Mechanics can charge a fortune unless your in the know of one that works for beer, besides there is no real high tech stuff needed to swap complete engines over.

Heaps cheaper to pay $300 - $500 for a s/h long engine and even gearbox rather than a full rebuild which will be needed if metal has gone through the entire engine, keep it for spares to pay for the other engine.

S

Smilin

True..
It finally seized on me yesterday..
Was driving to drop it off to the mechanic, and it started chugging really bad, then Ticking really loud, and made like a grinding noise, so i turned it off and rolled to the side of the road.
I towed it back, tried to start it.. it only just started (sounded as if i had a flat battery, but it wasnt)
Man the thing looked like it was gonna jump outta the engine bay :unsure:
All's good tho, got an engine going in it tomorrow.
Appreciate your help guys.

snatchemstrap

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Hey Mate!

Mine did (and sounded) the same as yours. ie Same symptoms you mentioned. Hopefully oldmate who wanted to change the cam hasn't got to your donk yet!! :D

The problem with mine was the Harmonic Balancer (the "pulley" centre bottom of the front face of the engine with your belt) It's purpose is to maintain the balance and prevent shuddering of lotsa stuff!!

Its a common fault with VR/VS. Mine cost $90 Labour for installation... and I think the part from repco was around $140... AFTER exchange. :confused:

Might pay to check it out at another place and see if the H B is the answer.

Hope I was of help,
Patch

snatchemstrap

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Sorry mate... just saw your last post!!

Hope the new one treats you well!

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
Death Rattle. My VR V6 was making a helluva racket at idle & had a distinctive clunk on start-up & shutdown. I assumed the worst (timing chain... death etc.) until having a look around this forum. Then I checked the harmonic balancer. Bloody big crack in the rubber all the way around & perished everywhere. Check it out - it saved me pushing the damned thing off a cliff.

:)