Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP; this cant be good.

Jarmizz

Broom broom
Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 Holden Commdore VN.
Hey all,

I just picked up another VN commie and I'm having a problem with it. When I'm driving down the road, no matter the speed the steering some times tries to control its self. Its shocking when I hit a pot hole or man hole, it feels like the wheels turn the steering wheel either left or right and I have to straighten it up.

Ive just fitted 4 new tires which were balanced so I'm thinking its not them, could it be the ball joints....nothing looks wrong when under the car so I'm puzzled. Any help would be great!

Cheers.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
did you get a wheel alignment? if so they should have pointed out any problems before completing said wheel alignment?

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
dose it stick to the groves/hollows in the road or a lumpy white line if ya cross it??? or when ya change lanes its hard to get over the center/white line, then once ya over it just about sends ya flying off the road lol.

Jarmizz

Broom broom
Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 Holden Commdore VN.
No they didn't, it was only booked in for the new tires however the chap doing the tires did ask if my ball joints were OK because of the strange wear pattern on the front two tires. I'll get a wheel alignment done next week when the shops open and see if that makes a difference. Any other suggestions?

Jarmizz

Broom broom
Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 Holden Commdore VN.
A little bit of both to be honest. If I drive down a straight flat road and hit a pot hole, the tire will dive into that hole and turn the steering wheel towards the direction of that said hole. It feels like the connection between the steering wheel and the steering box is made of lose rope at times. :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
get em to check over the suspension before doing the wheel alignment. if the ball joints are stuff or anything in the steering rack then you are wasting money on a wheel alignment untill those issues are fixed

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
A little bit of both to be honest. If I drive down a straight flat road and hit a pot hole, the tire will dive into that hole and turn the steering wheel towards the direction of that said hole. It feels like the connection between the steering wheel and the steering box is made of lose rope at times. :)

well mine dose the same thing and my steering rack is rooted. if i wobble the steering wheel side to side with car off n parked it knock's like buggery. got heaps of play and wheels car turn where ever they feel.

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
i had the same problem a little while ago and turned out my strut mounting bearing plates were shagged. have a quick look, just open up your bonnet and look at the bearing plates on top of the strut tower and if there is any cracks or damage then thats probably be your problem. good luck mate

Jarmizz

Broom broom
Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 Holden Commdore VN.
Mine but be a slightly less worse that what you have described "wana s' charge stock vt".

Are they are checks that I can complete to see if there is an issue with my steering rack or suspension?

Jarmizz

Broom broom
Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 Holden Commdore VN.
Good point "zskinner", I will check tomorrow when I have more sun light. So I'm looking for cracks in the rubber or metal strut tower?