Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP.. Timing chain replacement slipped a few teeth

Exmechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega VE
Hey guys, today I just attempted to replace my timing chains on the alloytech 3.6l engine, I got all the covers and brackets off but the trouble started when I was trying to align the cam and crank shafts with the chain marks, as I was rotating the crank shaft the chain slipped about 4 teeth so now the crank shaft is out of timing with the cam's, there are no markings on the crankshaft for TDC and now I dont know what to do.. any help would be appreciated.

johnavery70

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Need help

Hey guys, today I just attempted to replace my timing chains on the alloytech 3.6l engine, I got all the covers and brackets off but the trouble started when I was trying to align the cam and crank shafts with the chain marks, as I was rotating the crank shaft the chain slipped about 4 teeth so now the crank shaft is out of timing with the cam's, there are no markings on the crankshaft for TDC and now I dont know what to do.. any help would be appreciated.

How did you remove the power steering pulley?
One of the bolts that hold the power steering to the block is impossible to get at, the holes in the pulley don't line up with one of the bolts, 2 other bolts no problem.

So now I am stuck with trying to get the pulley off to get to the bolt, pulley has round looking nut with a square hole in the middle, how do you get that round nut off?

HELP greatly appreciated, its holding me up from getting the timing cover off for inspection.

ALSO ANYONE KNOW IF THE OIL PAN (SUMP) IS REMOVABLE WITHOUT TAKING THE GEARBOX OUT? HOW TO TAKE THE OIL SUMP PAN OFF FOR INSPECTION OF THE OIL PICKUP AND PICKUP SEAL?

CAR IS VE 08 SV6 HIGH OUTPUT ALLOYTEC.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Sorry about caps lock, but spent all day trying to get to the issue, and really need fast help.

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
i sent u a PM i have the timing chain replacement document on PDF but its to big to send here. but it shows u where the marks are to set the chains correctly.. when i get your email will send u the file.

Maxi_357

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz S v6
i sent u a PM i have the timing chain replacement document on PDF but its to big to send here. but it shows u where the marks are to set the chains correctly.. when i get your email will send u the file.
Hey mate if you still have the PDF any chance that I could get a copy pls as I’m currently doing the timing chain myself cheers

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
just watched the 2nd ve video while having smoko, do not use a 3 jaw puller on harmonic balancer as it will damage the balancer, obviously he has already planned to replace balancer
be careful reinstalling harmonic balancer, do not hammer on outer part or you will unbalance it
as the inlet manifold has to come off, might be wise to change spark plugs, while you have it all apart

Last edited: