Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP! Trouble regarding points/license!

playful

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Executive
I am on my red p's. I was done for speeding (85 in a 70) a month back, which put 4 points against my name. My suspension commences on the 3rd July.

Last night at 10:40pm (definitely not thinking about the consequences, like an idiot.) I did a burnout. I left the area shortly afterwards and was pulled over by a dog squad who allegedly received reports from a nearby resident that my car had in fact been doing them. The cop asks a few questions about what I had been doing, I was giving vague answers whilst not being a smartarse, and was trying to keep my cool. A highway patrol car rocks up 2-3 mins later and they take over from the dog squad. I decided I should come clean as there was no point in lying due to the fact they knew the go. I owned up to doing the burnout, and the cop went to talk to his senior colleague in his car.

Few minutes later they approach and say I have two options;

1) 3 month impoundment of my car. Pay $13 a day for the 3 months, with an $800 towing fee. Go to court pay 3k in costs and be suspended for two years
2) Give me a ticket for neg driving, and defect the hell out of my car.

Obviously I chose the second option, to which I received a red sticker with major grounding, and 4 fines (one of which was negligent driving). I won't go into it all because that's not the point.

I asked the officer how long I would be suspended for as well as how many points I'd receive, bearing in mind I've already been done for speeding. He said I got 3 points, and that I have no extra time on top of my suspension. In other words I do the 3 months for speeding, and then when I am back on the road I have 1 point left on my license.

My mate in the car mentioned to me it was double demerits [when the cop was in his car] but the cop didn't mention anything about it and I didn't bring it up with him as my mind was elsewhere and taking in what was going on. I really will end my life if my license if gone for more than 3 months. Please can someone help me clear this up? What's the go?

*Prepares flame suit*
I know what I did was absolutely stupid. please do not tell me again

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L

playful

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Executive
A few friends told me it started 12:01am Friday
Yet you and my mate from school reckon it begun 12:01am Saturday

According to your link -
“To encourage motorists to drive carefully double demerit points will be in place from midnight Thursday 7 to midnight Monday June 11.”

Either way I am praying to God that I'm not doing more than 3 months, it'd have serious repercussions that I'll have to cop.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
it'd have serious repercussions that I'll have to cop.

As they say "do the crime, now do the time."

When you made that decision to do a burn out you knew it was wrong and you got busted so time to man up and cop what's coming to you.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Im Not entirely sure but i thought double demerits only applied to speeding and seat belt offences. Not sure but thats all i thought they applied to, as the TV ADs say double demerits apply to speeding and seatbelt offences. Sucks mate but live and learn basically, not much else you can do but keep cool, **** happens and learn from it. I think your lucky the cops did not just impound your car and then be suspended for 2 years.

playful

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Executive
Yeah edals I agree mate. Double demerits also include drink driving I believe.

I'm willing to accept the consequences, I just need to know if the ban is gonna be extended further from what it was after speeding, double d's or not.
From my understanding I get 4 points deducted from speeding. 3 months later my license points reset and then 3 points are deducted for neg driving. So then I'll have one point left until I get my green p's. Am I correct?