Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help urgent..

matt_gotigers

RINGERZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Spac
Hey, was spraying my calipers today and got to the last wheel and when undoing the nuts one of them snapped the thread completely off the rotor bit..so my wheels hangin on by 4 nuts..what am i meant to do? is it ok to drive on/will anywhere be open on a sunday to fix it? How much am i lookin at? Might as well do all 4 because two other threads were unusually tight on other wheels..Any advice appreciated. thanx guys

vtspsi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Supercharged S2
Its not generally safe to drive on 4, but i guess if you take it easy to your location to get it fixed it would be ok just replace ur lock nut if you have one on that wheel with the standard wheel nut. I've known people driving on 2 and only to realise when they looked at it god knows how long they were driving on it.
best bet i guess is too take it to a mechanic and get them to either replace the threads by drilling them out then possibly heli-coil new ones in there or even replace the hub not 100% sure

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
You'll have to replace the stud, iv never done it. But they usually just bash out, a bit of heat might help loosen it. Just ring around and see it you can get one at a 7 day auto shop.
I'd be relutant to drive with 4 nuts, but we break them all the time on the gear at work and we still drive around in the gear. So if you got a close by auto shop then a slow drive to it is probably ok.

matt_gotigers

RINGERZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Spac
well the regular nut is the one that has the thread snapped off in it..so i cant really take the lock nut off and replace it with that one..dam that sounds like it aint gona be easy

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
4 is heaps, just drive nice and youll be fine.

supercheap or autobarn should have some in stock and when you put them on pull them thru with the wheel nuts by doing them up

matt_gotigers

RINGERZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Spac
so take the wheel back off, bash out the snapped thread and put a new one through? Will the guys at say autobarn be able to give me more of an idea of how to go about doing it? i was worrying id hav to replace the whole thing but if its just the threads its ok..still a pain in the arse though

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
youll need to take the caliper and the disc off

matt_gotigers

RINGERZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Spac
hmm think il hav 2 find someone with some more knowledge then me than to help me tomorrow..

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
is it the front or rear?
if its the front im not familliar with that setup i was thinking vn/p
i thought you had a vn sor some reason man sorry

kicker12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
A similar thing happened with my old car, i got a shredded tyre and had to pull over and change the wheel...and while taking the busted wheel off i noticed one nut was harder to loosen and it felt like it would loosen and then tighten yet it was still coming off.
when it came to putting the spare wheel on the nut just didn't screw into the stud and i ended up trying to belt it with a hammer.

this led to the stud going back through the whole system, leaving me with 3.
when the racv came they pulled it out with pliers and sawed off the part of the stud that was causing the problem.
my local mechanic said for a a new stud it would be about 100-130 incl. labor..