Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help vn v6 dies??

holden_w427

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Caprice 5.0ltr, Vr Statesman 3.8ltr
hey guys a mates VN commi keeps shutting down on her..the car just shuts down while shes driving around...once it stops it doesnt start again for another hour or so..

i've replaced the the coil pack, crank angle sensor and oil swith..

still no good..cant figure it out, was thinkin maybe fuel prressure but the fuel pump has been replaced recently and the fuel filter

Any advice would be appriciated..cheers

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
maybe try doing an error check the next time it happens? that would be what i would do as a start.....

holden_w427

Reaction score
Members Ride
cant do an error check..the vn's are different, unlike the vr's vt's all ya need is a paper clip to bypass diagnostic plug to pull out error codes..unless u know another way?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
cant do an error check..the vn's are different, unlike the vr's vt's all ya need is a paper clip to bypass diagnostic plug to pull out error codes..unless u know another way?

VN's have a different diagnostics plug and it's located near the ECU. You can short out 2 of the pins to read the codes by counting the number of times the engine light flashes. The info is in most of the manuals like Gregories etc.

david dubbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx gen111 wagon
When you changed the coil packs did you also change the DFI plate under the coils that would be my guess

holden_w427

Reaction score
Members Ride
zskinner: ok mate cheers, i'll give that a crack then..

David Dubbo: nah mate didnt change the plate? its only a cast iron plate aint it? shouldnt cause probs shouldnt it??

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
what david dubbo means is the electronic module that the coil packs are mounted to that the wiring connects to (not the actual metal mount itself), it is black and a rectangle shape wedged between the coil packs and the metal mounting

david dubbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx gen111 wagon
Yeah thats it and when mine died it did exactly what yours is doing

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
it's the crank angle sensor
it gets hot, expands and doesn't work, it cools and it'll run. it's next to the harmonic ballancer. if you search the site you'll find stacks of posts about the same issue