Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP! VP harmonic balancer...

SepG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina
Hey guys im new to this so sorry if what im asking seams pretty basic, I have just brought a Holden VP 92' Berlina V6 3.8 AUTO and the harmonic balancer is absolutely screwed, ive tried taking it of but it wont budge, the motor just keeps turning over cos its an auto we cant really stop it, so i was wondering if someone could clear up exactly what way the screw turns (is it reverse thread?) and the best techniques you'd suggest to take it of, your help would be much appreciated!, im trying to get this thing through the pits before TEE exams so i can stop stressing over it and then finish it of as a summer project with my mates, ive only really had experience with jap cars, a ford probe and my VX S pack so this whole car is completely foreign to me even compared to my VX.

Also Dashboards. The LCD's aren't working properly, there only displaying half the numbers?! any suggestions?

and i think thats about it..Cheers :D. Sep

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
Welcome to the site, The thread on the H/B isnt reverse you wont get it off with just a socket set of shifter or whatever unless its loose as, you will need a rattle gun to get it off and maybe a puller to get the balancer off unless its one that just slides out. people have tried a braker bar and putting it on to the balancer and rest it on the car and turn the motor over but might be risky if you dont know what your doing.
There would be tons of threads here about it just use the search button if you have problems with the car do a search and if you cant find anything write up a post :) good luck i dont know about the LCD screen sounds like its stuffed.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Yeah if you dont have a rattle gun breaker bar (or a metal tube over a rachet) put it under the drivers side chassis rail and crank the motor over. Leave a little gap betweeb bar and rail so it can build up momentum (sp?). You will defenitly need a puller to get it off. As for the lcd screens you will need to pull the cluster apart and clean the contacts for the screens you gotta be careful with the screens.
Added a coupls of pics if you look at the second one theres a whole lot of little metal contact on the board clean them up with some contact cleaner of something If that doesnt work i dont think theres much else you can do

Attachments

• Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 338
  • Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 389

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
If the trip computer has been pulled apart - when it goes back together the LCD screens can some times not mate up properly. So if you pull it apart and put it back together it may start working. The trip computer white plastic bit is very brittle by now and so will shatter real easy. Dont use any more pressure that neccessary - if the screw feels like it's tight stop and back up and try again. It wont cut a new thread in the plastic - it will snap the screw lug off and your nackered.

I've fixed/stuffed several trip computers in my time so I speak from finding out the hard way:)

The mechanic that fixes my HB used the big socket & bar then turned the engine over - I would not try this myself as I'd get it the wrong way around for sure and never get it off again:whistling

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
lol 88greenvn i broke mine unscrewing it dont know how but im not real impressed but hopefully itll stay together well enough. As you can see from pic i broke the bottom left lug off

Attachments

• Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 637