Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help! Will a vt auto transmission fit into Vy??

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Well your at that stage go for it anyway, worst that should happen is maybe a engine light, But who knows.

Please Explain why it wont work, not just saying it wont.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
If its a series 2 vy it won't work

It will. I've done the swap a few times. Slight differences around the bell housing and the fact that the VY pcm solenoid is a tad revised but will run 100% still

laura

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy calais
It will. I've done the swap a few times. Slight differences around the bell housing and the fact that the VY pcm solenoid is a tad revised but will run 100% still

Thank you!!

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
It will fit sweet.
The difference is in the PWM signal which will cause differences in internal pressures.
The gearbox will be fine for a while but won't take long to cook it again.
If you don't believe me then google rebuild kits for the 4L60e. There's a 93-97, 97-2003, 2003-2010.
There were changes the whole way through but those three categories are the three that you don't want to mix.

If the box is ready to go in and you already paid for it (they are cheap enough anyway) you could just put it in.

laura

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy calais
So it's in but.... the oil cooler lines didn't come with the vt tranny and the vy has different nut sizes. Just to top it off everywhere is closed over xmas! Apparently I can only get them through Holden according to repco.

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
that doesnt make any sense...
the VY does not use nuts on the oil cooler lines (at the gear box end)
they use small wire circlips.
they wouldnt fit into the VT oil cooler connection nuts but all you do is take the old ones out of the VY box and fit them to the VT box.
This step might be difficult to do now that the box is in but it is possible.

VT Style
VY Style

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
I am also very interested in knowing how this swap goes.
From what I understand the Lockup pressures are different so you might find that when you are cruising at a constant speed in third gear (with no lockup) and then you accelarate (causing lockup) the gearbox might feel as though it slips for a second and the rpm might jump a bit before it accelarates. If this happens you will burn up the gearbox in no time.
I have never been forced or taking the risk of mixing the pre 03 boxes with late models so i would like to find out that this works for you.

laura

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy calais
that doesnt make any sense...
the VY does not use nuts on the oil cooler lines (at the gear box end)
they use small wire circlips.
they wouldnt fit into the VT oil cooler connection nuts but all you do is take the old ones out of the VY box and fit them to the VT box.
This step might be difficult to do now that the box is in but it is possible. All I want is the box to go on and it works so I can trade it in on another car :) I won't be keeping it, it's got 350000km on it! Its Had a great life :/

VT Style
VY Style

Ok, I meant the vt oil cooler line didnt come with the box & our vy lines were cut too short. Also the vy line doesn't fit onto vt. So now I'm waiting on a vt oil cooler line. "Nuts, screws, bolts" aren't they all the same. Lol.

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
So are you saying you destroyed your VY lines?
The VY lines definitely fit onto the VT box, you just need to swap those little adaptors that i posted links too.
They are attached to the top drivers side of the g/box.
The VY doesnt use "Nuts, screws, bolts" they simply slide in and lock with a little wire clip...

I think you are going about this all wrong....your cooler lines need to match your radiator setup, not your gearbox. IE. you need VY oil cooler lines

Taries

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Ya reckon a 8hfd would fit in a 6hcd?