Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with a new sound system

Resident-Seven

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm happy with the audio that I have in my car for driving purposes, but I'm interested in adding in stuff so that I can use it as a mobile sound system, like for supplying the music at a bonfire, or outdoor party that isn't close to a house.

I also have a friend that is always looking for a good sound system to use in the mardi gras. And apparently that is pretty much just a battle to be the loudest. :S

So anyway, I was thing about putting in a couple of these 12" subs,
FEATURES:
# 2000w max power, 800w RMS
# 4 ohm
# 3" Heat Resistant Voice Coil
# Huge Magnet Structure
# Semi-Press Cone
# Die-Cast Aluminum Basket
# Flexible Rubber Surround
# ChromeAluminium T-Yoke
# Push Type Terminals
# Frequency response 30Hz - 500Hz
# Sensitivity 89dB

Specifications:
# Mounting depth 189mm
# Mounting hole diametre: 302.5mm
# Net weight 17kg approx
# Qts: 0.2952, Qes: 0.3102, Qms: 6.0907
# Sd piston surface area: 0.0471mm
# Vas: 29L

...and just wanted advice/input as to wether this would do the job, and what else I would need.

Thanks.

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
Umm.... does it have a brand name or model number???
You will need an amp to power it as well, otherwise they are useless.
Also to be a mobile DJ, you will want good speakers/amps to put out a lot of noise as well, not just bass, no point listening to music and all you can hear is bass

Resident-Seven

Reaction score
Thanks,
With the amp, how much wattage does it need to be, does it need to be equal to the speakers that it's connected to it, or more, or less? Also, what ratio of speakers to subs is ideal? As in, if you've got 2x2000W subs, what would be a good balance with speakers?

Brand was P-Teknique, but I'm still in the just looking stages.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
are the subs on ebay?
whats your budget?

Resident-Seven

Reaction score
Yeah they were... My budget would be $500-$1000.

Considering I only paid $300 for the HU, I don't want to go completely overboard on the speakers.

EDIT: This is the HU I got,
mycar010jb5.jpg

Last edited:

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
$500-$1000 ain't gonna get you the greatest system, and I would avoid eBay at all costs, especially since it seems you don't exactly know what you're looking at.

things you need to consider the costs of;
*sub/s
*sub box (pre-fabricated or custom?)
*installation (professional or DIY?)
*wiring
*amp/s
*speakers

As a start a simple system would include;
*head unit
*6" or 6.5" splits up front
*12" sub in suited box
*4 channel amp - front two channels power front splits, rear two channel bridged to power sub

You could use this as a start, or if you can up your budget a bit go for a bigger or more subs and/or dedicated amps. Don't forget the costs of wiring and installation though. Also sound deadening can be very beneficial, not absolutely necessary though, but keep it in mind.

Don't buy the cheapest stuff you can find with big numbers on it, you won't be happy with it. Don't buy BOSS gear! Keep posted here and you will receive good advice.

HotVS75

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Series 2 VS Calais
Have you thought about how you are going to supply this so called car audio BOOMBOX for mardi gras with power to run for hours on end without the engine running?

Its not about how much amplifier power you can stuff in your car, think about buy a generator to recharge ur battery while its running.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
or get a gold RACV membership ;)

pill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
i do some mobile dj'ing (with a full P.A. setup) and once for a party i rigged up two of my PA speakers to one of my car amps (just a 2x300w thing). absolutely pumped. If you're only concerned about it being loud at 'parties', just buy a pair of PA speakers and rig them up to a car amplifier. Just don't skimp on the brand.... I recommend the 'Weconic WH10" 10inch 2-way PA speakers i have, got them for ~$400 for a pair, and if you spent $300 on a decent amp you'd have a beach cranking the same way i did.
But the guys above are right, watch your battery consumption, beaches are a terrible place to have a flat battery.... maybe take a portable jump starter? (supercheap/repco, $80~)